Electrical resistivity measurement as an aid for refill in opaque cart

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
With introduction of opaque cartridges, top filling and German method are seriously hindered.

As a way to know exactly when the reservoir is filled to capacity, I am proposing an electric way to see it, by permanently inserting two electrodes in spongeless side of cartridge and measuring the electric resistivity between them.

What is needed:
one corrosion resistant paper clip
one sewing needle slightly thinner that paper clip wire
needle nose pliers
a fine file or abrasive paper, to sharpen the tip of electrode
one cheap analog multimeter able to measure at least up to 100 KOhm

In next picture is an example for electrodes, placement, and mode of connection to multimeter.

8054_img_0102.jpg

I made the pictured electrodes from a nickel plated paper clip, and to insert them I first pierced the cartridge with a thin needle, then I pressed the electrode tip in the hole. There was no need for sealant, as the cartridges plastic is soft and elastic enough. In my case the space between cartridges as inserted in printhead allows for this particular placement, but if there is no space for side placement, the actual position can be moved where convenient.

For refill, set the multimeter to measure in the highest scale for resistance, connect the multimeter to electrodes with crocodile clips, check if there is a good electric contact between clips and electrodes, by connecting the electrodes (not the clips) with a piece of metal, then proceed to refill with the method of choice. The moment when ink touches both electrodes is signaled by a marked change of multimeter displayed value, indicating full fill of ink reservoir.

Disclaimer
I do not own a printer with opaque cartridge. The method presented above was tested only with a CLI-8 compatible cartridge.
The actual situation with real opaque cartridges may be different.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It is an innovative idea. I wonder how practical it is in actual daily refilling. Will the tank leak after inserting the paper clips?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
... I wonder how practical it is in actual daily refilling...
For testing I top filled the pictured cartridge and I was not impeded at all by the wires connected to multimeter. It was like my regular top fillings, but instead of looking at cartridge I looked at multimeter scale.

Tin Ho said:
...Will the tank leak after inserting the paper clips?...
The electrodes are intended to be left in place permanently. The way I inserted them (forced through a thinner hole) ensured a good seal, however I do not know how it works on actual opaque cartridges with different plastic. To be sure for long lasting seal I suppose that, instead of paper clip, one can use small stainless steel or nickel plated screws, with flat head.

As a side note, by adding 3 more electrodes, one at bottom, one at 25% height and one at 50% height, the measurement between the initial bottom electrode and the 3 new electrodes can be used to check the level in reservoir, as more than 50%, more than 25%, almost empty and empty.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Interesting idea.

How about some sort of metal pin (drawing pin type of thing) that is magnetic?

Glue them into the side of the tank permanently.

Get a pair of tiny powerful magnets (Neodymium) and attach the probes to them. Then just stick them on the metal pins when filling.

See there for ideas

http://www.first4magnets.com/

Or maybe you can find magnets with a pin that could be glued in and then the probes could be attached easily to the magnet.

Good luck!