Easier Refilling Of Opaque 525/526 Cartridges?

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Maybe this is already known, in which case I apologize for posting. If not, I just wanted to share...

I have owned an MG6150 for some time know; it was the successor of my MP640. Initially, I refilled the opaque CLI/PGI 525/526 cartridges using the German Durchstich method and a precision scale to weigh the cartridges. I never really liked the German method, so after some time I replaced the 525/526 cartridges with clear 520/521 cartridges (and replaced the chips with the chips from the 525/526 cartridges). With the clear cartidges I use the top fill method. I remove the seal ball and use recessed plugs and tape to seal the holes.

The last time when I was refilling I noticed something was wrong with the Cyan cartridge, it wouldn't stop dripping. All I had for immediate replacement was an opaque CLI-525 cartridge.

When I refill a clear cartridge, I use eyesight to check the ink level. Inside the cartridge, under the refill hole where the seal ball used to be there is sort of a small tube. The picture below shows what I mean.

CLI-521.jpg

What I noticed during refilling (it happens to me all the time) is that when the ink level almost reaches this little tube, ink gets sucked into the tube and ink bubbles come out of the top. Not too much and it's easily wiped off with a piece of paper towel.

With this in mind, I prepared the opaque cyan cartridge for top refilling. I cut away part of the top label and removed the seal ball. I then got my ink bottle and made sure the needle didn't touch the sides of the little tube. I squeezed carefully until some ink bubbles came out of the refill opening. I used a twisted paper towel as a dipstick to determine the ink level ans it was just right.

So, my statement is that ink bubbles coming out of the refill opening are an indication that the correct ink level has been reached.

I look forward to your comments...