Dye ink V’s Pigment ink...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why is it that guys say pigment ink printers clog more than dye ink printers.

I started the switch to pigment inks more than ten years ago because of their more obvious advantages, and one was not clogging, in fact I taught I’d have more clogs with the pigment inks, which turned out to be the exact opposite.

I’ve had less issues with clogs using pigment inks than I did with dye inks, and since then have phased out all my dye ink printers in regular use, except the iP4500, which seems immune to clogging..

The one exception I had was the Maxify, it just didn’t like 3rd party inks and clogged up on a regular basics and had be cleaned a lot before use, but the same inks worked flawlessly in the Pro9500.

The older printers worked easier with 3rd party inks without issues, but there is a greater need to be careful with the newer printers, it’s too easy to damage the print head after only a couple of refills..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I couldn’t say if I’ve had more clog problems with pigments or dyes. What ultimately killed, almost without exception, the printheads of my printers was electrical failure. Often it was a progressive process, starting with a whole section of the nozzles missing and then failing totally. Sometimes it was a sudden demise.
Normal clogs were always ’fixable’ (up to a point) with cleanings, although I suspect that several times the electrical demise of the printhead was accelerated by my use of ‘energetic’ cleaning methods (out of the machine ).

I concur with you that Maxifys are a bit different in this matter. The first compatible ink for my MB5150 was a disaster, while the same brand of ink was used for years without issues on several Pixmas.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
While not an example of equivalence, my Canon MP830 Dye-based printer experienced clogged nozzles using Precision Colors ink but my Canon Maxify Pigment ink printer has never once had an issue using Canon OEM ink cartridges no matter how long it goes between print jobs or how big the print job.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Please @stratman, clarify a bit these words 'using Canon OEM ink cartridges'
Do you mean purchasing OEMS carts discarding them when empty or refilling OEM carts with genuine Canon ink from Maxify megatank bottles ?.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Don't care to fark around and find out there's an issue when I need 20-30 double sided pages printed immediately for a conference starting in 5 minutes. And then another set an hour later, and so on during an all day event. (documentation not released until just before start of lecture)

Someone on the forum once said "horses for courses". He seemed pretty smart at the time. :idunno

Different matter with my old MP830. Loved refilling.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
That's a safe solution, albeit not cheap. If you print a lot of pages per year (say at least 20-30K ) probably you'd end up saving money with one of the new Maxify megatank models. Those printers are not for me, terribly overpriced IMHO, but no more worries about chips or cartridges.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Latest posts