Drying Time

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Cyan.JPG PhotoCyan.JPG

First image is Cyan ink. Looks to have filled nicely. Second image is Photo Cyan. It seems to have stopped absorbing ink. Been like this for 20 minutes. Any advice?

Paul Lueders

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 Mark II
I have just received a set of used OEM CLI-42 un-flushed cartridges. I have flushed them with tap water using a syringe. A lot of ink came out, but the sponges still show some very slight colouration. Interestingly, the black one is the cleanest. How "clean" do the cartridges need to be? BTW - I didn't flush the yellow one yet - I will do this Windex that contains ammonia.
Get carts as clean as you can. No color is best, but doesn't seem to really matter. I use an air compressor to blow the clean water out of the carts. Use the new hole you put in the cart and it blows the water out of the sponge hole. Then I put carts over a floor heat register for a month to dry all the water out before i try putting in new ink. Been doing this for a couple years now. Works good.

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
View attachment 6848 View attachment 6849

First image is Cyan ink. Looks to have filled nicely. Second image is Photo Cyan. It seems to have stopped absorbing ink. Been like this for 20 minutes. Any advice?

There's a video clip on youtube of a guy using a syringe with the spike removed and poked into a hole. Pulling on the syringe creates a vacuum in the cartridge that forces ink into the sponge like magic.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A quick solution when waiting is not desired.

1) Generally, ink above the sponge is not desired and may cause leaking or excessive dripping or be a sign that ink is in the air vent. That said, I've had ink above the sponge without much issue.
2) Is there ink in the air vent from this procedure and inhibit ink flow?
3) Can the sponge be displaced from the procedure and result in ink starvation eventually?

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I should point out that both cartridges were flushes and dried at the same time and in the same way, but one was just not absorbing the ink. I left for 2 hours and still no change. Having watched the video, I gently pushed air in using a tight fitting squeezy bottle and immediately ink start to flow from the chamber into the sponge. Adding additional ink was then absorbed. Interesting that the flow just seemed to get stuck... Appreciate the tips, guys.

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I'm guessing that the breather port was blocked with water and that by forcing in air it cleared the port.

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Forum consensus is to not let the cartridge go all the way to dry or else risk decreased or slow absorption time for ink in the sponge. If bone dry then some recommend Pharmacist's conditioning solution to help with speedy ink absorption.

How much flush liquid you want gone before refilling is your preference on what you think will be acceptable levels of ink dilution and therefore loss of color dynamics in the print. This is more important if you sell or compete with your printed images. Also, whatever fluid remains will eventually be insignificant with subsequent refills.

So, yes, how long is a piece of string. Your cartridges sound ready for refilling.

Using paper towels to wick away the moisture, I have flushed and refilled in 4-6 hours or so and been good with the results. If you want, you can speed up the equation by putting the cartridge inside an old sock and spinning the cartridge around like you are David against Goliath. Careful with potential splatter from the centrifugal forces on the fluid exiting the cartridges.

Wow, I wish I had read this earlier. Performed my first flush with a full set of OEM CLI-42 Carts recently. I THOUGHT I did an amazing job… used only Windex-D on all until every single one's Sponge was White as Snow. I then rinsed with Water and let them dry near the Radiator and didn't refill them for a few days making sure they were bone dry. Little did I know…

Even after refilling I left them for a few days making sure the Ink had time to saturate the Sponge and then I went to place them in the Printer. Having never done this before I PRESUMED the fact some Carts's Sponges were still showing white at the Outlet Port that this was somewhat OK, due to being dilluted with possible existing water from the refill. Namely Photo Magenta.

Cut a long story short, I have noticed for the past few days Prints appeared somewhat subdued (faded in color, not so contrasty and vibrant). Yet I ran a Nozzle Check a couple times and although what I now think is also a faded output (nozzle check) I thought that it was fine as there were no streaks.

Well tonight I replaced these Carts (as Grey was out) with my usual OEM Refills and oh what a difference. Back to bold, deep-color Prints. I now know I have messed up, possibly risking burning out some Printer Nozzles. I have sat down to search this forum for Refill Advice and this Thread, this Post specifically, probably explains everything!

Moral of the story? Do the opposite, don't wait for the Carts to dry. On the contrary, refill them after flashing when still moist?