Drying CLI-8 chipped Cartrages in Microwave?

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi All,

My question is: After purging a CLI-8 ink cartridge, there comes the drying of the cartridge. I have read some posts of using the microwave to dry out the non chipped cartridge. So, has anyone used the microwave to dry the CLI-8 chipped cartridges? Or any of the chipped cartridges? Were the chips damaged by putting them into the microwave????

Zap

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Don't put ANY chipped cartridge in a microwave. You will destroy the chip.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The easiest way to dry them faster is drying with vacuum pulling. Same principle as in vaccum refilling cartridges..... This will speed up evaporation dramatically....

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
The easiest way to dry them faster is drying with vacuum pulling. Same principle as in vaccum refilling cartridges..... This will speed up evaporation dramatically....
Or compressed air to blow out the excess water, which is what I do. Of course it helps if you have a compressor. Guess you could use those cans of air, but could get expensive.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
on30trainman said:
pharmacist said:
Or compressed air to blow out the excess water, which is what I do. Of course it helps if you have a compressor. Guess you could use those cans of air, but could get expensive.
When done not properly the sponges might be dislocated. So be careful using this method. You might use your mouth to blow through the breathing hole to force the water out of the cartridge as much as possible.

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I would much rather use your experience than my own. After over 70 years, I learned to listen.

I only wish that I had found this forum years ago. I have learned much from all of you. I have been refilling for very many years now. Started with a HP500 and wore out several of them, as well as several later models of HP. Refilling with both the top hole and the bottom fill method. My wife uses the same printers that I do, so that refilling is easy. I bought my ink by the gallon then. Non commercial use only.

In the first 5 years that I used an ink jet printer, and refilled, I saved over, I say again, I saved Over $50,000 in printing cost in those 5 years, by refilling as opposed to buying HP ink Cartridges. Since then I print less but still - - - - Great savings. I used HP until they changed their cartridges to die electrically after the first two to three refills. (They corrected that fast in later models) Now I use Canon, and have refilled some Cartridges over 60 to 80 times, non chipped types (I gave up counting over 60) and have a couple of ip4200 printers now, (wore out the S600s.) Some of those Cartridges have now been refilled over 20 times, and have only lost one CLI-8 Cartridge due to total chip failure.

I had noticed a reduced flow of ink lately, and purging the Cartridges made a world of difference. so I have been drying them by forced air and the vacuum method. After they appeared dry, too dry to wick out any more moisture, I tried laying them out in the sun for a few hours, and saw the moisture condense into droplets inside, so re vacuumed until no more condensation present. Now the feed ink better than new. My ink supplier has always given me absolutely top quality of ink which has never given me a problem.

Thanks again for your help. I am still learning.

Zap

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
After purging I blow throughthe fill hole and through the air vent. I then old vacuum cleaner. Recently I modified a plastic shoe box with well fitted lid. I cut a close fitting hole for the end of the cart and, at the other end, a close fitting hole for the hose attachment. By tipping the box I prevent liquid from being sucked into the vacuum. (water vapor still gets into it, but it is an old vacuum that I'm not concerned about.) I then rubber band several carts together and stand them in front of a small fan till they are dry.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
When done not properly the sponges might be dislocated. So be careful using this method. You might use your mouth to blow through the breathing hole to force the water out of the cartridge as much as possible.
Actually I blow air into the top fill hole so I am actually pushing the sponge back down into the outlet hole. Of course since I use the top fill method with squeeze bottles, and not the German method, I have an open hole at the top of the non-sponged chamber that I can force air through and into the sponge and out the outlet hole.

Steve W.