Doubts about Epson Sure Color T5470

Algo Después

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus 3880 pro
Hey there,

I am an artist so I was looking for a 36 "plotter to print prototypes, but also some large scale photos with decent paper. I have read a lot about the print quality of the HP DesignJet T series, sadly the dye ink is a key factor for me, so I changed my mind. The other option I was thinking about it is an Epson Sure Color T5470, (from “T” Epson series) which uses pigment ( a plus item) and 350ml cartridges with Ultrachrome XD ink but has recently been discontinued by Epson. Actually, I haven't found much information about it so Sorry for my ignorance, I know this is a technical printer, but I would like to know if anyone here has used this printer for photography or even if you think it is a problem that it has been discontinued so soon. So please feel free to share your impressions/suggestions.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a direct successor - the T5475 which uses the same cartridges, and Epson is supplying ink cartridges for quite a long time after a product has been discontinued.
You may have a look as well to the T5100 (N) or T5405 if you are looking for a printer with 4 inks, it depends on your print volume, print size, type of connection, your prior and current use of a printer in this class and other specific requirements. The print quality - whatever you expect here - does not just depend on the printer but very much as well on the type of paper - plotter paper for drawings will not deliver you the most color saturation.
I'm running an age old Pro-7600 with 7 inks, but did for a while just with 4 inks via RIP software - did see a difference from the missing light colors ? - not from regular viewing distance for posters, but if you get pretty close - pretty close to nose distance - you see slightly more granularity in smooth color areas - you can recognize the dithering, and since there are no light inks the ink droplets are more visible. So yes - you get decent looking photo prints with a 4 color printer but not the finest level of smoothness or color space you get with 9 or 10 or 12 ink printers - there is a reason for the additional colors. And all this is a matter of personal judgement.

ccc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP T120
For what it's worth, we are running an HP T120 and using Chinese pigment cartridges from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863079920.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.25.43a713b6gfMBcQ
We've been using these carts for two years with no problems.
Somewhere on their site they use the phrase "Universal Pigment", We decided to try these initially because the T120
is using HP's new "Dual Drop" technology and it produces prints with no noticeable difference from our Canon iPF, and it does this using four inks only. At less than US$900 for a 24" machine wwith powered roll and cutter etc, it. (or its replacement) is a steal.
Wether all this works is not clear depending where you are. There are reports of HP banning non factory ink in some countries,, which is not allowed where we live.

Algo Después

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus 3880 pro
There is a direct successor - the T5475 which uses the same cartridges, and Epson is supplying ink cartridges for quite a long time after a product has been discontinued.
You may have a look as well to the T5100 (N) or T5405 if you are looking for a printer with 4 inks, it depends on your print volume, print size, type of connection, your prior and current use of a printer in this class and other specific requirements. The print quality - whatever you expect here - does not just depend on the printer but very much as well on the type of paper - plotter paper for drawings will not deliver you the most color saturation.
I'm running an age old Pro-7600 with 7 inks, but did for a while just with 4 inks via RIP software - did see a difference from the missing light colors ? - not from regular viewing distance for posters, but if you get pretty close - pretty close to nose distance - you see slightly more granularity in smooth color areas - you can recognize the dithering, and since there are no light inks the ink droplets are more visible. So yes - you get decent looking photo prints with a 4 color printer but not the finest level of smoothness or color space you get with 9 or 10 or 12 ink printers - there is a reason for the additional colors. And all this is a matter of personal judgement.

Thank you very much for your reply Ink Stained. I have reviewed the replacements for the t5470 as you comment (with the slight changes in the numbering, as they are the products that circulate in the Epson America division) and they are indeed good alternatives to the T5470, although the prices are a little higher, at least here where I live (Ecuador).

With the T5470 the main uncertainty is that being discontinued so early it should be "something" in that model that is going to fail and that is an epson top secret. I suppose that having sold many units and / or circulating them still in certain countries they should not leave their own customers without support, but in any case the doubt remains. Another discontinued option and although more expensive and a bit old is the t7270, which has 2880x1440 dpi, taking into account what you point out, just 5 cartridges, that the printing medium is a great conditioner of quality.

Actually, more than a particular plotter, I was interested in identifying through their experiences a plotter that allows me to have: a higher wide printing, pigment ink, with few cartridges (4-5 maximum) and with the highest possible photographic quality. . I must assume that perhaps that plotter does not exist, anyway I wanted to know what you think. Which would be the plotter that is closest to these specificities. I reiterate my appreciation for your suggestions

Algo Después

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus 3880 pro
For what it's worth, we are running an HP T120 and using Chinese pigment cartridges from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863079920.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.25.43a713b6gfMBcQ
We've been using these carts for two years with no problems.
Somewhere on their site they use the phrase "Universal Pigment", We decided to try these initially because the T120
is using HP's new "Dual Drop" technology and it produces prints with no noticeable difference from our Canon iPF, and it does this using four inks only. At less than US$900 for a 24" machine wwith powered roll and cutter etc, it. (or its replacement) is a steal.
Wether all this works is not clear depending where you are. There are reports of HP banning non factory ink in some countries,, which is not allowed where we live.

Thanks for your reply CCC. I confess that I have been following your experiences commented in other forums about the hp t120, and what you mention sounds great but unfortunately the Designjet t120, 130 or t520 are almost non-existent in the local market (T520 model would be the one that would interest me, especially for the 36 inch; OTOH is not the same thing to take the risk with a 2000 bucks printer). Now around here only the new versions are circulating (t250, t630, t650). In them Hp has blocked the possibility of using refillable cartridges or CISS systems. I guess it's a matter of time.

Anyway, you commented in your first post that the prints with dye ink / black pigment covered them, as they currently look, do they still last? It is incredible that when I looked for comments on the quality of the inks in different sources (b & h, amazon) I did not find any customer complaints about the longevity of the Bright office ink 711. Nor will HP be clear on this. If the Designjets are so popular, even for those who occasionally print their works (actually recommended on more than a selection of photo printers), at least one critical mention of it should be around, but no. A curious thing.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Not all model changes are related to prior technical problems, the enclosure may get a beauty-uplift, you may get more connection options - wireless, Airprint etc
I regret that I cannot give you more information than the models listed above, I think it would help you if you can get some sample prints; does Epson have a sales room in your country you could go to ? Or do they have a reseller/distributor for their large format printers you could contact?

Algo Después

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus 3880 pro
does Epson have a sales room in your country you could go to ? Or do they have a reseller/distributor for their large format printers you could contact?
yes indeed, that should be the next step. Unfortunately Epson's service locally is slower and more precarious. But I'll keep looking, I hope it works

Last edited: