don't buy the latest canon printer

canoninkuser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

i just came across this forum and wanted to give a heads up to everyone out there. do not buy the latest canon printers because there are no generic inks for them at all. i am an epson printer lover, but a month ago, i decided to go for the ip6600. after i got it from amazon, turns out there are no generic cartridges for them. so i had to return it for a R340 epson. one thing to make sure is that check for generic cartridges before making a printer purchase.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
But then why are you canoninkuser if you don't have a Canon printer? Canon ip6600D is actually a better printer than Epson R340, if you are talking about 3rd party supplies for them. There are refill inks available for ip6600D.

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
One would have thought it would be prudent to check the price/availability of the cartridges before purchasing the printer.
From my experience in the re-filling industry the Epsons are very problematic, the cheap compatible cartridges will destroy the print head, Canon on the other hand are much more resilient, that and you can replace the head if needs be.
The new Canon cartridges will be re-fillable in time - I know that the inks are available and companies are working on a chip re-setter.

The Epson only holds 12ml per colour inc black (I think I'm right in thinking it takes the T048* cartridges?) re-filling these can be a pain in the backside although not impossible. Its also not a Durabright ink which is a shame. With 6 cartridges that all tend to run out at the same time its a very costly machine to run.

The Canon carts hold 12ml per colour and 23ml for the black, using the OEM's as a guide in my shop you'd pay 71.94 for your Epson cartridges and 61.94 for the Canon, baring in mind the black has double the capacity.

The Canon would have given far superior prints compared to the Epson. But each to their own.

Regs,

D

LelandHendrix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I use the ip6600 and greatly prefer it.

If one prefers a generic ink then I suppose print quality may not be a factor.

I have bad experience with Epson clogging on OEM to the point where it had to be trashed.

You can get oem or BETTER quality ink to refill cli generation canon tanks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you use the Epsons with OEM ink on a frequent basis, they are not problematic at all but will lighten your wallet quickly. Use third party prefilled cartrdiges and you have a good probability of running into trouble. However, if you refill the original Epson cartridges properly with good quality ink, you retain the troublefree performance of using OEM cartridges. The critical factor is the original cartridge design is the reliable one. Compatibles just don't cut it for a host of reasons.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1272

If you have an Epson you'll be rewarded by refilling the originals and it is not difficult and does not require a vacuum pump. The other aspect is that the Epsons chips can be reset and thus FULL functionality is retained like a new OEM.

Canon makes a nice line of printers as well especially if you can locate the better older ones that use the BCI-6 cartridges. The refill method is so easy and the aspect that you can get very good bulk inks that have better fade reistance than even the best prefilled compatibles compels one to refill.
With the newer models, they are marred by having the chips that cannot be reset and thus losing ink indicators which is a genuinely useful item to prevent head damage. So there is some aspect of truth to the damage claim by Canon if used carelessly.
With just being careful, the chip issue does not warrant a non purchase of a Canon.