Does this printer exist?

frenchc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Canon i9100 delimma: It is old and I think the print head is shot. I can get a new print head for around $75, but don't know for sure if that is the problem. I decided to read some reviews and look for a new printer. I am really surprised that over 5 years, the best printer I can find for my needs is the one I already have. I am a graphic designer, and need a printer for proofs to give to clients. I have considered every kind of printer I know of: large-format inkjet, laser, even the wax Phasers, but money came into the picture and eliminated most of them. I've dealt with epson printers in the past, and spent more time unclogging them than actually printing. The newer Canon i9900 might have produced better prints than the i9100, but didn't justify adding (refilling) two more cartridges. The newest Canons, pixmas, are chipped. If I could go back in time, I would have purchased 3 i9100s.

This is what I need:
prints up to 13x19
decent color matching, close enough
4ink, no more than 6ink
bulk inks (refillable cartridges)
borderless printing
auto duplexing
ethernet capable
fairly inexpensive (both printer and consumables)

Am I overlooking something? Does this printer exist? At this point I would be happy to get 5 out of 8.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In the first place. you might want to post exactly what the problem is with the i9100. There are knowledgeable people here who can help.
You might consider a CIS system for even better savings.

I do see these from time to time on eBay...keep looking. And the i9900 is still a great value, even if it does use 8 carts...the extra time is worth it!!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
A quick Google search didn't turn up any i9900 printers. The pro9000 looks similar but with chipped cartridges. I saw these from several vendors for under $400. Unless you are printing solid red and solid green areas frequently the i9900 used very little ink from these carts (per grandad35 posts). The chipped carts are as easy to refill as the non-chipped ones. You do jeopordize your warranty and lose the ink monitor, making it necessary to visually check ink levels periodically and, more particularly, before a large print run. Nonetheless, this might be the best choice given your requirement for 13lx19 prints and refillable carts.

frenchc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The exact problem is the i9100 is old, needs a new printhead, and is discontinued. Please don't get my number of posts confused with "printer knowledge". I have exhausted the internet- I have been through a ton of info in this forum alone and have learned a great deal. I have torn the printer apart (actually two i9100s, one at work and one at home), cleaned everything countless times, switched cartridges, even tried a CIS a couple years ago. btw, I never was able to get consistent color out of the CIS, so that is still a work in progress on the home printer. Here lately, the printers will print ok for a print or two, then revert back to streaking, missing colors, or dropping spots.

The only thing I have yet to do is break down and get a new print head, or take the $75 and roll it into a new printer. What would you do? Also, thanks for the printer suggestions, keep them coming.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I think it's worthwhile to take the risk in buying a new printhead, since the i9100 is still superb in printing pictures and you can use refill ink with a working ink level status and even it does not work, you can resell the printhead to somebody else.

Keep in mind that the Canon i9900/i9950 wide format printer uses the same printhead as in the newer chipped -guess what....- Canon Pixma Pro 9000 printer (4800x2400 dpi) so there should be almost no difference in printing quality, except Canon wants you to pay more for the ink and uses the chip as some kind of a blackmail for you to stay paying for their ink.

So keep that i9100 working as long as possible: the $ 75 for the printhead is just peanuts for having the convenience of working ink level after refilling the carts/using aftermarket carts.