Does the Xerox Phaser 6010 print driver have an exact "print preview"?

alfei

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm finally going to replace my Canon Pixma ip1500 inkjet and I'm looking at the Xerox Phaser 6010 laser. The ip1500 print driver, under XP at least, gives you an exact "print preview" of the printed page. (This is not the same as "print preview" in a browser or even MS word. For example, I can chose "page layout printing" in the driver and print 4 pages of a document reduced onto one page and see the printed page exactly as it will be printed.) This feature has saved me COUNTLESS pages of wasted printing - when the preview shows something unexpected, I can cancel the printing before it begins. Does anyone know if Xerox's drivers support this ability to preview the printed page exactly as it will appear? Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Just because youre using a different printer doesnt entirely mean you cant use the same print preview.
You can still you the Canon print Apps. For any printer which will include your new Xerox also.

Does the Xerox not come with any supporting software or print applications at all?

alfei

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Does the Xerox not come with any supporting software or print applications at all?
I don't know. I haven't ordered the printer yet. I just know I would be very unhappy if it didn't support the preview so I was hoping maybe someone on the forum with a Xerox could say for sure.

Also, the preview seems to be part of the Canon print driver so it doesn't appear for other printers. Under windows, when I print from any application (Print... -> Printer) I can chose from a list of the installed printers and the preview only comes up after I choose the ip1500 (Canon's controls become available under "Properties") and click "OK". I also have an old Epson installed. It brings up different controls under "Properties" and no preview window comes up.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would have taught you would have exactly the same on all printers, mostly when using a laser printer the application you are using
to generate your work will have print preview and what you see is what you get.

There are very few if any guys use a Xerox printer on this forum most would use a HP or Epson
so unless they are regular visitors to the forum you wont get a definitive answer very soon sorry.

For mainly inkjet printers you can..

First go into Control panel and click on Devices and printers, then select the printer you want to use,
next right click for printer properties, then click preferences, now click on Main tab and in there youll see a box called Preview before printing,
now all you have to do is to click apply and exit, you can do this with most printers.

When youre ready to printout you work its only a matter of selecting which ever printer you wish to use
and it will present you with the print preview automatically, however I never use it myself..

alfei

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
First go into Control panel ..
Thanks. I tried navigating the way you said and it got me to the same controls as before. The ip1500 has "Preview before printing" and the Epson 440 doesn't, but it's encouraging that many printers may have it now.