Does old ink cause this? (PC ink)

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Hi everyone, hope all is well around here in the US and around the globe.

I have been printing (in the past) with my Pro 100 and Precision Color inks with great results until now.
The ink set I have was bought back in 2015. I never had any reddish or magenta tint issues, but I also haven't printed regularly for the last 2-3 years. I have gained new interest in photography and older cameras as well lately and of course I like to print the pictures.
This week I decided to have some fun with a Canon G9 and G15 (can buy them for peanuts in excellent condition) by printing directly from the cameras. So far so good, but prints come out with a reddish tint.
Next I tried printing from the computer, and same thing. Now if I print from Print Studio pro, and turn the driver off as instructed from various threads i have read, the tint continues now matter which media I select. Except "plain paper" which prints out without the reddish tint. Makes no sense so I'm baffled.

Now if I try all this (cameras and computer software) on my IP6600D I get perfect results............No tint

Is it possible that the PC ink I have for the Pro 100 is the cause due to the age of the ink?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is it possible that the PC ink I have for the Pro 100 is the cause due to the age of the ink?
That is a possibility, because contamination can easily creep into your refilling procedure if you’re not careful, but before you jump to any further conclusions, why not print a nozzle check first to see the state of play of your printer, please post it up here too..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you please upload a scan or photo of the nozzle check and also a scan or photo of a print with the reddish tint?

A magenta tint could be caused by inadvertently refilling the photo magenta cartridge with regular magenta ink. A reddish tint could be caused by problems with cyan or photo cyan.

The Hat posted while I was writing this.

Last edited:

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
thx for the replies
this is what I am getting on the nozzle check

Attachments

• IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 224

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In the nozzle check C, PC, M and PM should all have approximately the same colour strength. PM is much stronger than the other colours which makes me think that the PM cartridge was by accident filled with regular magenta.

You will need to flush and dry the PM cartridge or find another PM cartridge to refill.

Last edited:

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thx
I have a fresh set of flushed cartridges somewhere:he
I'll give them a whirl

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am going to refill a flushed set I did a couple years back.
You guys know your stuff about this and I don't want to go on wasting your time by doing more trial and error.
It could very well be that I did fill the PM cart with Magenta, and it makes the most sense as to the current problem.
The carts in this printer have been in there since 5 years ago. Topped off and reset many times too. I also did a test on each to see the flow of ink with the plugs pulled. Cyan needed a puff of air to get the drip started.

And I really appreciate the help and advice here............you guys are tops in my book:bow

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
He might want to do the same with the Photo cyan and cyan.. They don’t look right either..
It depends on the printer. I wouldn't know about the Pro100, but in the Pro10s nozzle test, cyan and PC have practically the same density. Maybe PC is even a bit stronger. Magenta and PM look very much the same too. In this case magenta is slightly darker, but the differences are subtle.
I agree anyway that the Photomagenta band in the scan of @mikem65d seems too strong to be correct.

Pro10-test 5.21.jpg

Last edited:

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just wonderful:weeeI've replaced all the cartridges with fresh flushed carts I did a while back and now everything is perfect. I obviously did refill the PM cart with Magenta.
The new nozzle check says it all..
Pictures posted are the before and after.
Man I couldn't be any happier.
You guys are really the kindest group on the web which is why I call this site home for my printing/photo hobby.

Thank you all so much.
I do need to order more ink from Mikling though as I am on the last fill for most of the colors.
This is also a testament to PC inks too as my thoughts on expiration is also put to rest. Good stuff PC

Attachments

• IMG_4011.jpg
    IMG_4011.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 196