Does Canon sell new print heads?

TrekkerNCC-1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post here, and I was just wondering if Canon sells replacement print heads for their printers? I have an i960 that recently quit printing, and after trying several cleaning methods, it still will not print. I have come to the conclusion that I have burned out the unit, and so thought I might try and replace it. However, after searching around on Canon's web site, I have not been able to find where they list replacement print heads for sale. Does anyone know if they are available, or does Canon restrict their sale? Has anyone had any luck buying one from Canon?

Regards,

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
try looking for inkcessories on ebay or on here.. they sell new printheads a lot cheaper than Canon do themselves.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Be aware that heads normally do not quit completely all at once but that is not to say it cannot happen. Your indicates total zero output. So consider this in your decision before deciding on a new printer versus a new printhead. All printers can be repaired but sometimes replacement might be less risky and the wiser decision depending on the symptoms of the problem with the prior printer.

TrekkerNCC-1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
Be aware that heads normally do not quit completely all at once but that is not to say it cannot happen. Your indicates total zero output. So consider this in your decision before deciding on a new printer versus a new printhead. All printers can be repaired but sometimes replacement might be less risky and the wiser decision depending on the symptoms of the problem with the prior printer.
When this print head quit working, the black was the color that went out first. I think it was because one of my kids ignored the low ink warning and just kept on printing until there was no more black output. He then told dear old dad about it. By this time when I replaced the black cart it would not start printing again.

I started out trying to fix it by using the print head cleaning and deep cleaning options in the Canon software. They did not solve the problem. The next step was to try something more drastic so I soaked the print head overnight on a paper towel soaked in denatured alcohol. That did not help either. My next cleaning attempt was to soak the print head overnight in warm soft water, again sitting on a paper towel. No luck here either. Part of my process was also to blow alcohol at first, and then low pressure air, and then soft water through the little pads that the ink carts sit on. This didn't provide any improvement either. In fact, things progressively got worse instead of better, as the other colors stopped printing as well. I think the only color printing now is magenta.

Also, thanks to everyone for the ebay leads on a new print head for my i960. Now I need to decide do I buy a new printhead for this printer, or just sell it on ebay with a malfunctioning print head. All other functions were working fine when this problem occurred.

Best Regards,

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Looks like the replacement printhead will do the trick. In these situations, the Epson policy of stopping the printer completely may well have saved you some money by preventing damage to your head. Like so many things there are two sides and pros and cons. I imagine you might have preferred the printer to stop working altogether, whereas some find this too restrictive.

Good luck next time.

frang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i need to remove the print head of my canon i960. lifted lever on right and pulled but it wont come out.

TrekkerNCC-1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
frang said:
i need to remove the print head of my canon i960. lifted lever on right and pulled but it wont come out.
Don't pull on the whole unit that has the lever attached, as it won't come out. The lever just serves to lock the print head into the carrier. Instead, after lifting the lever, just gently rock the top of the print head unit toward the front of the printer and lift it out. After you have disengaged the locking lever, there is really nothing holding the print head in other than gravity.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay B.

frang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks To Jay B. I Removed The Print Head.
Then I Let Hot Water Run Through It And Replaced The Print Head. Ran The Test Patterns Which Looked Ok. Then I Printed An Image Which Used To Print Perfectly (a Brown Horse).
This Image Printed Early Today Came Out Yellow Green And That Caused Me To Test And Finally Run The Hot Water. Now The Image Is Still Just Yellow Green.
I Will Try The Windex Soak Unless Someone Has A Better Idea.
If I Have To Buy A New Printer Would Love Feedback.
Fran

TrekkerNCC-1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
frang said:
Thanks To Jay B. I Removed The Print Head.
Then I Let Hot Water Run Through It And Replaced The Print Head. Ran The Test Patterns Which Looked Ok. Then I Printed An Image Which Used To Print Perfectly (a Brown Horse).
This Image Printed Early Today Came Out Yellow Green And That Caused Me To Test And Finally Run The Hot Water. Now The Image Is Still Just Yellow Green.
I Will Try The Windex Soak Unless Someone Has A Better Idea.
If I Have To Buy A New Printer Would Love Feedback.
Fran
I tried all of the print head cleaning techniques that I came across, and unfortunately, none of them returned my i960 print head to working order. I tried the warm alcohol soak and then the warm soft water soak, and neither of them worked. I even loading Windex with Amonia D into some clean empty carts and tried running them through the print head, and that didn't work either. I am now left with the choice of either buying a new eplacement print head for my i960, (which are available on e-bay) or just selling the printer on e-bay for parts. Since I already have 2 other Canon printers, I think I am probably covered as far as printers go. I'm not sure what I will do with the i960 yet. I'm still deciding on that one.

As far as buying a new printer goes, it really depends on how you use your printer and if you are a dedicated cartidge refiller or not. If you print lots of photos, and are a refiller, then the printer you have is probably one of the better ones out there. You may just want to buy a new print head and then you would be good to go. The cartridges in the i960 are easy to refill, and the quality bulk inks that are out there today work just fine. As far as new printers go, I am a fan of the Canon's, but the new cartridges have a chip on them that tell the printer "Hey, I've been here before." That causes problems if you refill cartridges as then the low ink warning will no longer function. I suppose it is not a problem if you watch your ink levels really closely, but it is a concern.

Later,

Jay B.