Do powered on Canon printers initiate maintenance if no prints made?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Blueiced said:
My Canon printer doesn't automatically initiate cleaning cycles if not in use.
I decided to check with Canon tech support, and got a reply consistent with above.

Short version: if your printer sits powered on for 5+ years (with UPS to avoid power loss), it won't use any ink other than possible evaporation. Weekly nozzle checks aren't optional if you want to minimize clogs.

More info:

Like gravity?
"Not just a good idea, it's the law."

Also note that it is very important for idle printers to have the print-head parked correctly rather than inappropriately pulling the power cord too soon. This can result in the nozzles not having a protective cap over them, which is a big factor with drying.

My speculation is that more than a few clogs result from people getting the print-head carrier in the middle to access, pulling the power cord to leave in place while refilling, and then leaving the power cord disconnected. I think I may have done that, and it seems to be a recipe for clogs.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
stratman said:
Find Service Manuals for your printer(s). No one here knows for sure what happens, though it seems like something more than just what is written into the Service Manual is occurring with my printer and others printers too.
Probably a good idea about getting Service Manuals, but I'm reluctant to spend the money without a better idea of what the 9000-2 manual contains. I think my next step will be checking with Canon tech support.
Based on replies from Canon tech support, the policy for recent printers seems to be to not provide service manuals. That is the case for at least the MP990 and MX850, and probably the 9000-2. Their guidance was to see if an ASF (authorized service facility) would provide answers to the questions I was asking.

<rant>the inevitable result of rampant ip theft</rant>

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
l_d_allan said:
Based on replies from Canon tech support, the policy for recent printers seems to be to not provide service manuals.
I didn't know Canon sold or gave out Service Manuals to the public, only to their service facilities. Pretty cool if they did provide Service Manuals to the public at one time. I've seen them in the ether of the internet, sometimes sold by third parties, sometimes offered as a free download, their providence of unknown origin.