Distilled vs Deionized Water

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Every now and then the question of whether to use Distilled or Deionized water pops up. From the following web page, Distilled water seems to be the best choice, though either may be OK depending on the purifying process used. If the purified water is potable then it should be fine whether it is distilled of deionized.

https://www.uswatersystems.com/deionized-water-vs-distilled-water

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The term ‘purified water’ means next to nothing if it doesn’t comes with a label attached detailing the amount of each residue. Likewise, ‘deionized’ is very ambiguous. Strictly speaking it’s impossible to remove all the ions in the water, even with the most sophisticated methods. What matters is which ones remain and how much of any of them. For ink refill purposes discussed in this forum it doesn’t matter much if deionized or distilled, provided it has been filtered. That is, unless that water, previous to deionization or distillation, contained a fair amount of volatile organic compounds that could pass through one of these processes.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Distilled water is the way to go, get a TDS meter and test. If it shows zero, the water is good, as clean as it can get IMHO. Get two meters to you can catch them if one begins to lie.

No needs to spend huge money on the meter. Get the Original Xiaomi Mi TDS Pen Tester for 7USD it works very good

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Confession time... I switched to a reverse osmosis deionised water system to support our clean water habit while cleaning cartridges and we've found it's just as effective as distilled water in that regard. The key is to ensure that you test the water with a TDS meter before using it, as suggested by @Smile. The RO systems are great but it's easy to ass-u-me that it's always clean when sometimes it can need a minute running the tap before it reads 0ppm.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I switched to a reverse osmosis deionised water system to support our clean water habit
Curious minds wonder...

Do you have city or well water?

What do you do about fluoridation to prevent dental caries that now is removed from your purified water, if your water has fluoride to begin with?

There is concern that drinking deionized water can leech minerals within your body, such as calcium and magnesium. What do you do to compensate for this effect - balanced diet, fortified foods, vitamin pill?

Did you notice a taste difference at first when you began drinking the purified water?

https://theberkey.com/blogs/water-filter/understanding-the-benefits-and-risks-of-deionized-di-water

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Curious minds wonder...
Erm.. Just to be clear.. We only installed the RO unit so we had Deionised water for cartridges cleaning, etc... definitely not for drinking purposes.

The RO unit has 5 separate stages in it so the PPM is literally down to zero which, as you say would be tantamount to taking anti-vitamins and mineral supplements... or at least that's the theory. Not something I'd do unless seriously desperate.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
definitely not for drinking purposes.
Some people do. That's why I asked. Great that you go the extra mile (kilometer) in your business to keep a clean shop.