Disabling ink level monitor on Pixma MP600

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The instructions say to press the stop/reset button for 5 seconds when an X is displayed above a cartridge. My PGI5 has been refilled and is indicating empty. I pressed the stop/reset button but get no indication ink level monitoring has been disabled. I still get a X displayed on the monitor screen. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Bill

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
And what about using resetted CLI-8/PGI-5Bk catridges: does this latest firmware accept those resetted cartridges as well or is this line cut off too ??? Is Canon been infected by the very contagious ultimate $$$-virus ???

Can someone confirm the working (or not working) with this latest firmware with resetted carts ?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
billkunert said:
The instructions say to press the stop/reset button for 5 seconds when an X is displayed above a cartridge. My PGI5 has been refilled and is indicating empty. I pressed the stop/reset button but get no indication ink level monitoring has been disabled. I still get a X displayed on the monitor screen. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Bill
Perhaps you still have some valid cartridges that have not yet run out of original ink. If you do, the ink monitor will still come up and show the condition of those along with the empty.

Since you have already responded appropriately to the empty cartridge signal, I assume that you are still able to print. True?

On my printer which has all "empty" cartridges that I am refilling, the ink monitor still pops up when I print, and every tank pictorial shows zero ink level.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The cartridges have all been refilled but the PGI 5 is the only one currently showing empty. A couple of the otheres have the " ! " above them and yes the printer still prints. If Canon changes the firmware to disable the ability to turn off the ink level monitoring and kills the printer when carts show empty they are going to see their customer base evaporate.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Billkunert, I just checked my ip4300, with all 5 cartridges refilled for over a year. There are no X, ! or whatever on any of them. The ink level monitor only shows 5 empty ink tanks. There is no light on on any LED of any cartridge either. I believe if you see an X it is telling you that the printer is unable to recognize the cartridge. This indicates that the chip on the cartridge has become defective. I may be wrong because yours is an MP600, not an ip4300. But I have seen a couple of posts on this forum before that people had cartridges not recognized by their printers. If your printer is still under warranty you can call Canon support and ask for a free replacement. People have successfully obtained free replacement under warranty from Canon for the reason of cartridges not recognized by their printers. The reason the cartridge is not recognized by the printer is because data in the chip has become corrupted. The printer reads and writes from the chip all the time when the printer is used. If there is any glitch on the contacts between the chip and the printer data written into the chip may instantly become corrupted. It is in my opinion a bug of the printer. Since the printer reads and writes from the chip at a very frequent rate the chance of getting corrupted seems high. This is probably why people have this problem from time to time. The only way to fix the problem by a user is to get a replacement, unless you know how to reset the chip. Call Canon. Good luck.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Tin Ho - The cartridge is being recognized and the light is flashing about once a second. It still prints so the chip is functioning. I had figured the light on that cartridge would go out when ink level monitoring is disabled. Thanks for the reply.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
You are right, Billkunert. If the cartridge is not recognized by the printer it will not print. If you still can print just keep going until it waits for you to press the button for 5 seconds.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
billkunert said:
Had a chance to think about this and remembered something important.

When I have replaced a set of cartridges with refilled ones in a printer often the printer will recognise some of the cartridges as empty right away and demand the reset or replace routine. Others curiously get indicated with the red X above the cartridge, require an OK press and then continue to print for a few prints before displaying the message requiring the 5 second reset.

You may be in that middle state at present so if you could please report back if you see something similar to that described above it'd help nail down whether this is known of new behaviour.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I finally got the warnings and had to press stop/reset to disable monitoring on the PGI 5 cartridge so apparently everything is working as it's supposed to. This is on a Pixma MP600 that is about 2 months old. The X has disappeared from above the cartridge.
Thanks for the replies.
Bill