Direct Color Systems 7200z/Epson StylusPro 7900 Printhead Assistance

AversaS

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Direct Color Systems 7200z
Hi everybody.

I'm having some issues surrounding my DCS 7200z (shares many parts, including the printhead and main board, with an Epson StylusPro 7900).

This all started last week with a failed nozzle test. I was only getting white ink from 1 out of the 4 channels. After some tests and flipping the damper around, it was determined to be a power management issue and not a problem with either the printhead or the dampers.

I was unable to get the machine to get into a ready status. (Side note: I keep getting the E Status Error: Exec_Err13_Misc_P7900)

Direct Color Systems sent us a new main board, a new print head, some new ribbon cables and a new capping station. All the parts that we may need to get up and running again.

Our old control board looked like it had a massive failure at the power connection. There was some light scorch marks. The fuse had popped and the CCell battery was completely dead. (This is still an Epson board).

After installing the new board and registering the printhead again through the software (ours didn't need replaced. It was only 1 month old), I ran into a series of failures on the print engine screen. Unable to clear them, I had to struggle to get DCS on the phone again. It still wasn't pushing out the ink properly. In fact, things had gotten worse. Instead of missing 3 channels of white, I was only receiving magenta on the nozzle test.

While trying to get DCS on the phone, I unplugged everything and ran the monomer flush provided by the company through the printhead using the tool they gave that fits on the nozzles under the dampers on the printhead. When I hooked everything back up, the print engine screen was dead again.
--
The tech told me that the monomer flush may have fried the printhead, which caused it to fry the main board. 3 main boards within 2 days, when the problem in the first place was "power management" according to them.

Is this possible?

DCS included a $200 bottle of UV IR2 Monomer Flush. There were no directions or warnings not to use this to clear out dried ink, which I believe was causing the failed nozzle test after I replaced the main board the first time. The machine was down for almost 2 weeks with no ink flowing through the head.

So, if this is something that can destroy both the printhead and the board, why would they include it? And if they are going to include it, where are the warnings? There aren't even instructions or a mention in any of the service manuals. I learned what it's used for from browsing other Epson sites.

The tech said it's a last resort - something that was never conveyed to me.

Finally, if there's even a possibility (which he said very quickly, so this is something they know can happen) - why wouldn't they have a fuse in between the two to prevent them from destroying both?

Last edited:

Leofox698

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
DCS 7220z, DCS1024UV
I don't use monomer flush on the ink system. Bear in mind that print head is part of consumable and very expensive, it's a sales thing on the distributor/ DCS. I just run multiple power clean on the the printer and multiple cleaning of the capping station.

signgirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
direct color system
The fuse that DCS installed on their power board is not correct. Therefore the failsafe that is the fuse blowing before the main board and printhead gets fried doesn't work. epson has a 4miliamp fuse and they put a 5miliamp fuse on their board. We changed the fuse ourselves on the board so that it is correct. I recommend you doing this as well. As you have probably learned they have adapted and not very successfully their system on the epson 7900. We no longer buy printheads of DCS. you can get them elsewhere for less. good luck

Sensational Signs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
We have a DCS7200Z as well, we have a lot of issues with the printer and the company in general. Can anyone tell me where to buy these part other than DCS and how to get your software to recognize a new print head?

signgirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
direct color system
class action lawsuit? has anyone read any good reviews of this printer that actually runs on a daily basis without breaking down or having to throw expensive parts and people at it to get them running

Sensational Signs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
class action lawsuit? has anyone read any good reviews of this printer that actually runs on a daily basis without breaking down or having to throw expensive parts and people at it to get them running
I think a class action would be good, there are very few good reviews and less about their customer service.