Devices & Printers

Hikermann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Windows 7 / HP ENVY 5530 / WordPerfect 12:

1. In Devices & Printers, I have only the 5530 showing / default printer
2. When I send something to print from WP12, it correctly shows designated printer as ENVY 5530
3. However, in the WP drop-down list an ENVY 5000 Series shows up; attempting to choose it results in a pop-up informing that that "printer is unavailable"; when I originally connected the 5530, the 5530 designation was not included in the options, so I chose 5000 Series instead
4. I went to D&P, removed all printer designations and started over, resulting in the 5530 loading and operating properly
5. Back to D&P, however, the 5000 Series showed up and it has occasionally screwed up print jobs
5. I have repeatedly deleted it in D&P; why does it reappear, even though I delete it?

Appreciate any expertise shared.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is the printer wired or wireless connection to the computer?

Does this happen with other word processing applications?

How old is WordPerfect 12?

I have repeatedly deleted it in D&P; why does it reappear, even though I delete it?
Sometimes a print job gets stuck in the queue of the printer/Operating system. You must clear the print queue before you can delete the printer from Printers and Devices.

Have you tried uninstalling the Epson drivers/apps as you would any installed program in Windows, ie not via Printer and Devices?

Uninstall all drivers and software for the printer, remove the printer in your Printer and Devices list if still there and reboot he computer. Now, reinstall the printer as if you just took it out of the box following all the original set up instructions. Do not deviate from the guide.

If the issue remains then look for new drivers for your printer from the Epson website, uninstall everything again, reboot and reinstall once more.

If still happens then consider a Windows Repair.

Hikermann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

- Not Epson; HP ENVY 5530.
- WP12 was somewhere around 2004; still going just as I need, so grateful for that; it's the only w/p application I use, so have no answer to your question about other apps.
- There are no printers in the Control Panel, only in D&P.
- At present the 5000 Series is only showing up in WP12's drop-down, so I'll just ignore it until I can figure out how to "clean house" and get it out of there.

Again, thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
- There are no printers in the Control Panel, only in D&P.
How can you use a printer that is not installed?

Are you saying there are no HP drivers (which must be installed to use the printer), or other software that usually comes with a printer, installed on your computer?

- At present the 5000 Series is only showing up in WP12's drop-down
Sometimes the general Model Series number is what you might see. You do have a 5000 Series printer, specifically the 5530 Model number. The distinction in the WP12 drop down box may not make a difference to the functionality of the printer.

Other things might, including corrupted files or lack of updates to the printer if the Operating System is not backwards compatible. In that case, when the printer drivers are only available for an earlier version of Windows, say Windows XP and you are using Windows 7, then you might want to try installing the drivers using Compatibility Mode in Windows.

I think you may still be able to update to Windows 10, a more robust OS that is still receiving mainstream and extended updates. Your Windows 7 only receives security updates until Jan 2020. There are no non-security updates anymore.

Hikermann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
USB connection to PC.
No, there are no printers listed in Control Panel.
Yes, the 5530 is in its proper place in D&P.
Yes, the 5530 drivers are in their proper place in Device Manager.
Yes, the 5530 works as it should.
Windows 7 is fully satisfactory for my needs, so there's no reason I can determine to go to Win10; perhaps at some point I will need to, but that's not this week. The way I see it is like my 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 312,000 original miles on it which provides absolutely everything I need in a vehicle; can't come up with any reason to buy a 2001 or 2018 just because there are newer models . . .
At this point I'm considering this settled on the printer business.
Thanks for the other comments.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I do not use Windows 7 nor an HP printer. I have, however, not seen any other Windows operating system not have the printer drivers installed and the printer works. In other words, the HP printer drivers must be installed and, therefore, may be uninstalled.

A quick Google search brought up two interesting links:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Deleting-a-HP-Envy-5530-printer/td-p/6569114

https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/page.php?id=52550

To need to do this to get rid of HP's malware-like software is ridiculous. I recommend to everyone who wants to keep their drives as clean of uninstalled apps to use Total Install or Ashampoo's Uninstaller. These apps monitor the installation process and log every change, addition and deletion. When you want to uninstall you use these uninstallers and they will get rid of left over files and registry entries better than the original installed application's own uninstaller routine.

I truly mean this: Good luck and via con Dios with this HP / Win 7 mess, which ever is the cause for the issue.