Darn Epson printers

pamananda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have two epsons, the photo R220 for cds and the workforce 500 for everything else. They both gave up on me today.
the workforce has always had a problem with the off-brand cartridges I buy and the R220, which I have enjoyed a lot has an error message that says some interior parts need replacement. Good luck with that!

So I've spent the last hours online checking out printers. If I read the one star reviews on Amazon they all suck. Mostly because the printer companies are really expensive ink companies and they are getting better at eliminating the competition by non-recognition of cartridges.

Is there an all-in-one that will do dvds and will accept alternative ink????

I'm so glad I found this forum.

Pam

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The R220 can be reset when you get the waste ink pad warning. It is a veritable workhorse.
The workforce can be put to use as well. You can get refillable cartridges that refill easily for both printers.
You just need to do some homework and checking. Again both printers are not duds if you know how to keep them fed properly.
This forum can be a treasure trove for you.

Reset program:

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/InkPadsForm.jsp

either one will reset the R220 and keep it going.

After one reset, the next time you can install a waste ink tank very easily to the R220

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
As for DVDs, Epson has a patent on that, so only a few other printers (all of them last year's models?) will print CDs or DVDs. And you're right. They do suck. All of them, as far as I know. The ink is actually not all that much cheaper than gold, and I'm not making that up.

But most people here say it's worthwhile refilling or using a CIS. I'm a newcomer, so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem that hard. With reasonable effort, it certainly will drastically reduce your ink costs. I think your only options are, spend a little effort, shell out big bucks, or do without.

pamananda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I looked at the reset program and it made my head spin. So I'm thinking of going with the new artisan 835 and getting refillable cartridges. That would give me a bit more room on my desk. I liked what you said about it being a natural candidate for CIS.
I tried the CIS once before from ebay and I did it wrong and I still have ink stains on my desk and floor to remind me. So I'll start out with the refillables and learn as I go.
So if you think that's not a good idea please let me know.
Thanks a lot,
Pam