custom printer profiles

chasl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does anyone know a place to have really cheap custom printer profiles made? Does anyone have a home business doing this?

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
chasl, I just sent you a PM. I don't have a business doing this but maybe I can help you out

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
How can anyone making "cheap profiles" make quality profiles if hardware re-certification by manufacturer is no cheap ! Measurement instruments require periodic re-certification so do not end up measuring with rubber ruler.

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile, I would say it depends what kind of expectations you have. A 25$ profile done remotely by someone on the web should give better results with 3rd party ink than trying to adjust colors with drivers or by trying to use profiles made for OEM ink.

This is where end user expectations come into play.... some people are happy with scanner based profiling, some are happy with profiles made with a lower end spectro like a colormunki. Some will prefer the profiles done with a higher end spectro and software like I1 or Monaco.

I certainly can tell the difference between a scanner based profile and a colormunki profile. I can also see a good difference between argyll/colormunki and the xrite/colormunki software. Past Argyll, i'm not sure I would trust my eyes to see any difference. I might think the prints look better because I know the profile should be better. With my lower end equipment, the prints looks great and perfectly match my monitor. Granted, it took me a while to figure out the brightness and ideal calibration white point (5300K / 100 cdm for me).

If you're a professional photographer, a colormunki or something like Profile Prism might not be sufficient... If you're a home user trying to get "good colors" out of your smaller desktop printer with third party inks, a low cost profile might be perfectly fine.

At some point, i'll need to try and get a profile done by a professional. I just can't justify the expense for now since I can roll my own that are "ok" ;)

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Even for pro photographers, how many clients are actually going to notice? I think unless you're printing a display for other photographers to see that most people have no clue nor do they care how perfect your profiles are as long as the prints look acceptable. :rolleyes: Even worse is hearing "Oh, that looks almost as good as the one I printed at home." :barnie

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Fenrir Enterprises said:
Even for pro photographers, how many clients are actually going to notice? I think unless you're printing a display for other photographers to see that most people have no clue nor do they care how perfect your profiles are as long as the prints look acceptable. :rolleyes: Even worse is hearing "Oh, that looks almost as good as the one I printed at home." :barnie
Nice one Fenrir.
I like it :thumbsup