Current 220/221 inks that work well

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
I suppose this changes periodically so just thought I'd ask, what are people using to refill their 220/221 carts these days? I had problems with the reds clogging using Fillserv, and eventually had to throw out the print head and start over (MP560)...don't want to make that mistake again :) thanks in advance!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Image Specialsts Pigment Black ink is good as well, though some users claim KMP has superior black intensity. Ghwellsjr, a member on the forum who has done some testing on Pigment Black inks, believes Hobbicolors Pigment Black is clog prone. Other people disagree.

Otherwise, agree with pharmacist. You would do well with any of these sources.

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
Thanks, much appreciated. Sometimes there are mixed reviews out here so it's tricky to decide...

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
IS pigment black isn't black at all! Is grey! I tried out an OCP pigment black for the ip4600 which was black and sharp like a b/w laser but the printhead saw me ink starving. It seems that the ink is too thick for this head. So i just mixed it with little IS black and ow is fine! Next step for me is to try the KMP's inks

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I may add Inktek. I had no clogs (with regular use) and color reproduction is ok. However, it seems the fade resistance is not to good, in special on cheap photo paper.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
gigigogu said:
I may add Inktek. I had no clogs (with regular use) and color reproduction is ok. However, it seems the fade resistance is not to good, in special on cheap photo paper.
I think you need to try for yourself. There are VERY contradictory reports. I've found InkTec to be very good, and one other highly respected brand to be highly unstable -- regardless of media. There may have been some changes in formulation, or some other factor that we don't know about.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
gigigogu said:
I think you need to try for yourself. There are VERY contradictory reports. I've found InkTec to be very good, and one other highly respected brand to be highly unstable -- regardless of media. There may have been some changes in formulation, or some other factor that we don't know about.
Currently I am doing a fade test for Inktec Canon 525/526 and preliminary results are not in favor of combination Inktec+ a hypermarket brand of paper.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Yes, as I have mentioned previously, some tests, including mine, indicate that InkTec is among the best, while others indicate that it's among the worst. It may depend on the specific formulation for your printer.

I have found that some media protect ink very poorly, regardless of brand of ink. Similarly, some brands of ink perform better than other brands, regardless of the medium. I think to get a meaningful test you have to compare two different kinds of ink under the same conditions.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
IS has been working very well for me in the 4200, 560, 640 and now a 990, what i have changed though is i no longer use black pigment, i use black dye in all black cartridges now, i just didn't want to use 2 different black inks, now my text looks sharper but i think that is because the black dye ink is darker, as far as smear proof (thats why there is black pigment) most of the new paper now has a coating, and i have been very happy with this switch