Curious about the CANON Color Management Tool? Here is my new video

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I decided to revisit this tool to help answer many questions I've been asked lately.

Hope this helps anyone who was curious about this free tool.By the way the prints I get afterwards are simply nearly a perfect match to what I see on my calibrated monitor.

It should work on all PRO series CANON Printers. In this video I make a profile for CANON Pro Luster and Precisioncolors newest ink set for the PRO-100 PGI-42 carts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY_EBVHTDu4

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Real nice work and advice Joe, you make it look so easy and you nearly convinced me to start my own profiling.. :eek:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Very interesting, thanks Joe.
The tool is free, but not the ColorMunki :(.

I already installed the tool but lost my way in the program.
It suggests you can only profile on Canon papers, but as you explain you only select the paper settings to be used, same as the Colormunki "Photo" program.
The only difference is the print button does not open the printer settings window, allowing you to verify (or set) the printer on the fly.
Will try again (also the trick from pharmacist to print 2 pages on one A4)

Did you found out what "Calibrate Printer" does exactly ?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well, yes, you do have to have one of the two profilers.
The only restriction is that it only works on PRO Canon Printers but you can profile any paper you'd like.
Simply choose Glossy, Luster, Semigloss, or Matte then Quality. Same as when using the Colormunki with the native software.

I believe but I am not 100% sure, that the Printer Calibration simply does a quick paper calibration which is then saved in the Driver?? You choose printer, paper type size and quality, print ONE single chart using the default driver settings. Scan it and save calibration. I also believe you do not turn off color management for this either. Then you can sort of print letting the printer control color using the same basic settings you used when printing that chart.

I think it is a waste on time since you can just as easily print the three charts and actually create a real ICC profile. Which by the way prints very faithful representations of your Colormunki calibrated monitor.

Joe

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I made a profile for matte paper (OLMEC 67, a good quality paper for professional use) with this program.

Since it was difficult to obtain punchy prints on matte with the PRO9500 I profited from the occasion to fill the PBK with MBK ink.
This to be able to use matte black ink with the standard matte paper settings and not only with fine art papers (another tip from Joe).

I made a borderless A3+ (13x19") that matched the LR preview, this Canon program works.

Until now I needed to pull the Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation sliders much more to the right than for luster or glossy papers, against the principles of calibration IMO.

Off the record: the standard matte paper setting (and the Matte setting in LR Print) use indeed the PBK cartridge as can be seen on the ink levels before and after printing a 100% black A3.

PS: the Canon Color Management Tool Pro does a Print command without the possibility to open the print dialog, so you have to configure the printer for the correct paper before as Joe showed in his video.
But special page settings as 2 on 1 - as I used to save some paper - are overriden to normal format.
Not a big problem, the gain for 3 pages is much less.

PBKMAT.jpg

Last edited:

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi Joe

Thanks for this. I am a keen print profiler and, up until now, have always used my Colormunki with the ColorMunki software. Since you, too, have a ColorMunki can you tell me if your results using the Canon profiler are noticeably better than using the ColorMunki software? I've always been very pleased with the accuracy between screen and print using the CM software but, while the colours have been accurate, the greys have always been slightly off so I'm more than happy to give this a go.

One other thing, a trick I learnt some time back with thePro9000 was to feed the A4 in as landscape and scale the print size to 70% which caused the profile to be printed across the page thus allowing two patterns per A4. With the Pro-100 you can't do that because you can't fool the printer in this way - you must feed the paper in as portrait - but you can still get two profiles per A4 by cutting the paper in half, into 2 A5 sizes, then selecting the page size as A4 and the print size as A5. Does this economy still work do you know?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks for posting this Joe as I couldn't make the Canon profile work but now I know to turn off the Colormunki I will try it again.