Could this be a worthwhile purchase?

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
As I posted earlier this week, looking for a work around the issues experienced with the print head on my Canon i9900. For now, I have been unable to match the output of the i9900 on the Pro9000.

There is a used i9900 for sale. I asked the seller some questions. Posting the questions and seller's answers in photos below. The seller in response posted a screenshot of the supposed test print for the printer that he has for sale. i notice that his test print is missing the line under the row numbers on his test print.

Screenshot 1. My questions and seller's response.
Screenshot 2. Seller's Test Print with lines under the row numbers 1 and 2
Screenshot 3. My Test Print (missing row 2 colors) no lines under the row numbers.

What do you think about this?

Manually filled cartridges can be seen in the photo of the inside of the printer. These are mixed with some OEM cases.

Are there additional questions that I should ask? Seller has 100% rating. No returns on the purchase.

Never purchased a used printer before.
This site is wonderful.
You have my utmost appreciation for the support and knowledge that you've given. Thank you

Attachments

• Canon i9900 info.jpg
    Canon i9900 info.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Seller Canon i9900 supposed Test Print.jpg
    Seller Canon i9900 supposed Test Print.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 147
  • My canon i9900 test print.jpg
    My canon i9900 test print.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I don’t think the missing lines under the row numbers mean much. Possibly this is due to different firmware versions. Sometimes Canon makes slight changes on the layout of the nozzle checks. I wouldn’t worry about that.

More significant is the low quality picture that the seller sent you. So dark and fuzzy that it isn’t easy to assess possible issues with the nozzles, Apparently, nothing is missing but it might be some banding hidden by the blurriness of that photo.

You don’t say whether the seller and you are located nearby or far away, maybe at different countries. Even if the printer was in pristine condition, shipping an used printer of this size by Courier is quite a risk. It would make a world of difference if you could go there by car and pick up the printer yourself, not only to ensure a safe travel home but to check in person the real output of the machine.

Last edited:

Soniaq

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ColorWorks C6000A Label
It is important only that you like how it works. I also decided to buy a printer because I always went to university and took out all the sheets I needed, but lately it wasn't comfortable at all. I bought the Samsung Xpress M2020W Printer and it was really a good choice. I found it at a good price on https://www.mrdepot.ca/products/samsung-SL-M2020W-toner and didn't hesitate to order in the same day.

Last edited:

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
If your so hell bent on saving your aging printer, your choice, then just get the print head and leave the printer carcass with the seller..
That was to the point, the Hat. I’m ok with letting it go if there’s no choice. For my work my goal is to get the pro 9000 colors to match the i9900 output. Maybe it’s more than the print head on the aging printer.

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
I don’t think the missing lines under the row numbers mean much. Possibly this is due to different firmware versions. Sometimes Canon makes slight changes on the layout of the nozzle checks. I wouldn’t worry about that.

More significant is the low quality picture that the seller sent you. So dark and fuzzy that it isn’t easy to assess possible issues with the nozzles, Apparently, nothing is missing but it might be some banding hidden by the blurriness of that photo.

You don’t say whether the seller and you are located nearby or far away, maybe at different countries. Even if the printer was in pristine condition, shipping an used printer of this size by Courier is quite a risk. It would make a world of difference if you could go there by car and pick up the printer yourself, not only to ensure a safe travel home but to check in person the real output of the machine.
Thank you for this, Although it’s the same country, it’s a ten hour drive. So.... hmmm. I asked the seller to take another photo of the test print in better light. There are no returns permitted. There is a one year protection plan offered that I would guess you have to buy at the time of purchase. No protection for used items with American Express.

Last edited:

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
The lines are missing on my print test because of the printhead. Well, the seller didn’t respond to my request for a better lit snapshot of his print test. Boy, sure wish I could just buy a new printer that would oroduce colors that sing, as the i9900 does.

Last edited: