Costco Kirkland Paper No Longer In Stores

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well this is a warning of sorts as I was a victim of my own warning without knowing until I had spent the better of two days figuring out what the problem was.

Now don't take this the wrong way. The last batch of Kirkland stuff I had been using was quite good and I reported that it was from Mexico and not from the USA.
So like in my last post I went out and got some more Mexico stuff and thought that everything had been good. Well without noting it in my mind, on Monday I started to test some more formulations to confirm some results that I was having. I was then comparing these to prior prints from my last batch and something was wrong. So I proceeded to make changes and nothing was improving.

Now on the surface everything looked fine but the differences I was tweaking was in the fine details where the sweat work really is. The difference between good enough and really good, because that's the kind of guy I am. It was driving me up the wall as things I had expected were not turning out.

Last night at 11pm I realized my problems started with the new batch of paper I had been using since Monday. I proved it by using another stock of paper I had that was from the same batch and was a higher grade.

On lesser printers ( and owners of these please don't feel offended) like the iP4200 and the CMYK "photo"printers, they simply cannot delve into the dark shadows and retrieve color and detail like their big brother like the Pro9000 can. So for these printers, the batch will not materially affect the output as even with the better batch, the printer cannot resolve those colors anyways. So any Kirkland is good enough for these printers. When dealing with printers with higher performance, and depending on how detailed a person you are, the differences between batches could be significant enough. I fell in the latter category.

Being an economical person, I don't test and print a lot of samples with true premium high performance papers. I never really gave thought that some printers can be better than papers and it didn't seem to make sense. I admit to this error now and have learned the hard way. High performance printers need high performance papers to bring out their best.

So this could explain the different experiences users could be having with Kirkland brand. That even with the same source country variances are there, and that some of these could either be of no significance depending on the printer being used with it or the amount of detail that the end user seeks.

Ultimately this means that canned profiles for Kirkland papers could be troublesome because of the variances in the papers even when the source country is specified.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mikling said:
The last batch of Kirkland stuff I had been using was quite good and I reported that it was from Mexico and not from the USA.
Do you still feel that the Made in Mexico paper is "better" than the Made in USA paper?

For those with the ability to purchase either Mexico or USA manufactured Kirkland paper, is there a general rule of thumb in your opinion?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I don't know. But here's what I am doing. I am returning one of the two packs I bought. I'll try another store. Went through subpar USA and Mexico stuff and both looked identical outside . The code number ends with I094 for the Mexico stuff I got.

Try one pack, look at it critically if you are stocking up. If its deemed to be good, risk a speeding ticket back and get some more as someone had mentioned before look at the code and get the identical batch you are happy with.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mikling said:
Try one pack, look at it critically if you are stocking up. If its deemed to be good, risk a speeding ticket back and get some more as someone had mentioned before look at the code and get the identical batch you are happy with.
LOL!

Thanks for the info.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
More info on the stores in the San Francisco area. The San Francisco Costco has a small quantity of 4x6 glossy photo paper, and they show it as an active product with a quantity on reorder. They are out of stock on the 8.5x11 paper and have no reorders in the computer. It is not noted as active and it appears that they have discontinued the 8.5x11 paper at this location.

The Costco store in San Bruno (a 15 minute drive south of SF) appears to have both items on active status with inventory and quantities or reorder. It is larger than the SF store and must have more sales of these items. BTW, the SF store has an absolutely full shelf of OEM ink carts. They know where the $$$ are!!!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Now you'd think that if they carry original ink, then they'd carry matching Epson paper so that the stock profiles work? and then the results would drive more sales.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Except that I would guess that the vast majority of people have no idea about profiles and are either satisfied with getting a reasonably decent image or unhappy with the printer even though the paper they use may be the problem. I've had friends who swear that their dye based printers are no good because the images they've made with OEM ink and plain paper are poor!

Costco knows how to be profitable on items it sells. They originally sold 8.5x11 Epson Glossy Photo paper at a great price. As I recall, it was about $20 for 125 sheets. It was excellent paper, and it worked equally well in my Epson and Canon photo printers. I was quite upset when they stopped carrying the Epson paper and switched to their own brand - that is, until I tried the Kirkland paper and found that I liked it even better. The Kirkland paper is a heavier weight and has a smoother surface. The benefit of the Epson paper, however, is that you can print on both sides as the back side is not plastic coated. Although it has a faint repeat logo pattern on the backside, it is so faint that I did print some holiday cards with photos on the glossy side and a message on the back. I still have a few boxes of this paper on the shelf, but I've been using Kirkland paper instead. Also, the Epson paper was only sold in 8.5x11 sheets so I had to cut the paper into 4x6 pieces for borderless prints of family events and other "snapshots".

Doug1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
New version of Kirkland Photo paper in Prescott AZ, store, 8.5x11- 150 sheets $17.79. It has new packaging and item #. A yellow banner says "now with more vivid colors and blacker blacks." 4x6 in new package $13.79. All made in Mexico, they seem to have the same specs has earlier versions.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
good news, Doug. Hopefully, all the Costco stores will now carry that product.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
OOPS!!! Just went to the San Francisco Costco - No kirkland glossy photo paper in the usual place next to the inkjet inks. Didn't have time to ask a rep where they might have moved it to (optimism!) or whether they have it on order for future stock (more optimism!!!!)