continue using QTR with iP8720 ink?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I've used QTR for years, with carbon ink. Been very happy with the results. When I tried to use iP8720 ink with QTR I ran into a block: I couldn't fill in the blank on QTR's "Printing Model", although I did fill in the preceding blank marked simply "name", filled it in with "Canon iP8700 series". No such luck with Printing Model.

Within minutes, a good friend came over and gave me a print-out of the manual for iP8720! Seemed the way to go instead of QTR.

Two questions:

-> Is anyone having any luck using iP8720 with QTR?
and
-> any members using a print-out of the 8700 series and can speak pro or con with it?

Cheers,
Paul

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm sure there are members who can explain QTR better than I do.

QTR stands for QuadToneRip, and some would call it a printer utility but I think it's more sophisticated than that. It uses a carbon ink in an essentially distilled water and glycerine base. Since carbon ink is too warm for some tastes, users can add a cooling agent made of blue and cyan. The carbon and the two coolants are pigment inks. These are used in a graphical interface by the user, just before printing. I used them in an Epson 1430 printer (or a 1400), supposedly a dye printer. Perhaps someone here can tell us how we get away with using a pigment ink in a dye printer!

Hope this helps,

Paul

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Epson printers use piezoelectric printheads that are more tolerant to different ink types than the thermal printheads used by Canon and HP. A thermal printhead for dye ink should not be used with pigment ink.

Some Epson printers for pigment ink and some Epson printers for dye ink even use the same printhead type. That explains why some Epson printers for dye ink can successfully be used with pigment ink.

The Quad Tone Rip software only seems to support a handful of Epson printer models, There seems to be no support for Canon and other brands of printers?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks, PeterBJ, I've always wondered about this.