Considerations when buying a printer

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently looking for a new printer, and I'm primarily a HP-printer user, but I'm also looking at Canon printers.

I'm no expert at printers, but here are a few considerations I am concerned with:
1. Must be able to print at least 8.5x11 without borders
2. Extra stuff (pict bridge, scanner, memory card reader, etc.) is not needed - just a USB connection to my PC if possible
3. PPM is not too much of an issue. I'm currently using a Canon SP200x that prints best grayscale at 1 page every 3-4 minutes, so I'm pretty patient.
4. Ease of refillability is very important. I'd like to do my own ink refills for "care-free" printing pleasures. I buy a lot of ebooks and print them out as best I can.
5. Must be durable. None of that 500 pages per month BS. 1000 pages per month or more preferred. "Disposable printers" is NOT an option.

Here are a few considerations I am confused with:
1. DPI - I know it stands for dots per inch, but I doubt I can see the difference after 3000+ DPI. Is this an important consideration?
2. BubbleJet versus LaserJet - I am vaguely familiar with the difference they use to print/shoot ink, but what are the disadvantages/advantages of each one? Is it even worth considering?

I have my eye set out on an HP 5740 - borderless 8.5x22, 1000 pages per month. I am looking for a Canon "equivalent" but its hard since Canon does not list the specs HP lists... I have to go and download the brochure for each Canon printer.

So, please read my considerations, and post your views for or against my views, or add some if I missed something. Recommendations also appreciated. Thanks!