Consensus on refilling cartridges for MG8150

Burt25

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
this is my first post on here having recently bought a Canon MG8150 and have been reading the forum with interest regarding refilling of the opaque cartridges for this printer.
If I am correct there are 3 options...?

- top fill method (with potential for leaks)
- German method using weight scales
- German method using OEM transparent cartridges transferring chips.

I am veering towards the second option but was also wondering about the 3rd (and downsides with used cartridges), I would like to know what the general consensus is before I buy some ink / resettle etc. I am technically minded so don't mind a challenge if it gives the best result.?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Burt and welcome to forum.

You are asking too much for a consensus at refilling cartridges :)

The most convenient is option no. 3, and there are no downsides if you use empty Canon OEM 520/521. It may be hard to find CLI 521 Grey but you can use a CLI 521 Blak (after a purge).

There can be also option no. 4, German method with fixed volume, when the printer monitor shows an empty cartridge it should be refilled with 5-6 ml for dyes and 9-10 ml for black pigment. Of course a resetter is mandatory in this case.

Burt25

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks- do the empty cartridges need to be purged before use?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As the cartridges may be dried, it is a good idea to purge before use.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Burt25 said:
- top fill method (with potential for leaks)
- German method using weight scales
- German method using OEM transparent cartridges transferring chips.
German method without scales, using original cartridges:

Fill quickly (about 2 ml / sec) and stop immediately at the first signs of exit port saturation (the exit port becoming "wet")

Tested 3-4 times with good results so far.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Burt:
Keep things as simple as possible so that there is less room for error. Swap your chips from your 525/526 cartridges onto 520/521 cartridges which have a transparent window that allows you to see ink fill level. It's easier and less time consuming swapping chips in the beginning than the additional effort of weighing cartridges and calculating ink amounts every time you refill.

Purging used cartridges you buy somewhere else may be a good idea, particularly for the Pigment Black 520 cartridges since pigment black is more prone to give you trouble with clogs or ink starvation than the water soluble dye based inks. If you are concerned about biological growth or experience lack of ink output then consider purging any cartridge.

Another solution is to purchase new 520/521 cartridges, swap chips, and enjoy without the question of whether to purge.

I recommend refilling only OEM Canon cartridges since there is no question of quality, performance, and reliability.

Don't forget to purchase a chip resetter for your 525/526 chips and reset before you refill to decrease your risk of a mini mess.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I can't offer much help other than to say that I don't think I'd want to do the German method without being able to see inside the cart.

galore

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just started refilling for the Mg8150. I only tried the German method on CLI 521 carts and its relatively painless. I am still scared that something will go wrong though but hopefully the feeling will pass when I get more used to the idea of refilling.

I think you have to be properly supplied with all the necessary things first. I bought a scalpel to cut off the chips and an MG8150 refill kit from Octoinkjet. Also some used CLI 521 cartridges. In all it must have cost me an additional 120-130 euros. Quite expensive but then you are hopefully set for a long time.The original carts started to get empty after about 15 A4 colour photos. The MG 8150 is a heavy ink guzzler and would not be worth it with only original ink. The results are very good though so I am happy with it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
galore said:
In all it must have cost me an additional 120-130 euros.
What did you buy?

Burt25

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice- I think I will buy new CLI-521 carts and transfer the chips to them so I am sure that they are fresh. Should I better getting sharp needles rather than blunt?