Confirmation needed - flushing Pigment based ink cartridge

ejaf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all...

I've been trying to wade through all the info here, and can't seem to find exact info, so I hope someone can confirm this.

I am in the process of flushing a Canon PGPK cartridge, since I'm going from an IP8500 to an MP610, so I've picked up the right diameter tubing, etc, to fit the larger pigment based cartridge.

What I need to know is exact what solution should I use after water flushing, in order to get the sponge as clean as possible. I have seen some mention of "pharmacist's solution", which I can probably bake up, but couldn't actually tell if that is indeed the right solution for a pigment based cartridge or not. I have also read that the best I can do is get the sponge a light grey in color, but after my water based flush, they're still closer to black than grey.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks...Eric

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Ejaf,

The solution you mentioned is fit for your purpose. However: when the cartridge is completely dried out, then watch out: pigment -when dried- is almost impossible to remove. Hey, did you blow out the water already, because fluid can optically mask the true colour inside the sponge ?

Use my solution and completely saturate the sponge with it and let it soak for about 1 day (seal it to prevent evaporation) and then blow out the solution and then have a look.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I could only get to a gray colored sponge for my PGI-5 carts. It is probably not 100% clean but it is probably close to 95% and I think that's good enough for me. I use only cold water dripping for my bathroom faucet for 30 minutes. I don't dry the sponge 100% before refilling. SO far it works very well still.

ejaf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks...will try that solution. I had not blown out the water already, so I'm not sure of the color now.

I don't think the ink was completely dry, but I will find out after, I guess.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Eric