Computer designed for Photoprocessing?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@3dogs:
Sorry to hear your supplier tried the old switcheroo on you. Maybe the Corsair is a good drive?..............................

I am glad you updated the comments related to mikling's quoted article. I think many did not read the updated end of life test information to a petabyte and beyond, which was why I said the 840 Evo would outlive me with its couple of hundred Terabytes in fact lasting to 900 Terabytes.

I wonder when Microsoft will join the real world and provide Windows with an inbuilt backup system that is compatible with SSDs (or have they?).

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@3dogs:

Sorry to hear your supplier tried the old switcheroo on you. Maybe the Corsair is a good drive?

Are you going for a RAID with 2 Samsung 840 Pro's? That would be sweet. I get along great with my 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro for the OS and image/video manipulation. I have a couple of traditional HDD in the desktop case for data storage as well a a couple HDD's not installed for backups or media storage. I use a second 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro as a clone of the OS drive which is cloned via a Theraltake BlacX docking station with O&O Disk Image. Off course you can also back up an image of the OS to a HDD. Easy breezy, though a RAID would be optimal.

Cant justify pulling out the corsair so will go raid with a pro as c drive and corsair as the paired drive

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well I now have my other computer up and running with Win 8.1 and I can’t see what all the who ha was about it’s as easy to get use too as Win7 was.

OK there’s no start menu but how often do you need to use that anyway, I just stuck a few Icons on the desktop and that’s all I need for now and ALT- F4 shuts her down, I can’t wait to see how easy Win 10 will be..

Start Menu.jpg click to enlarge...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Well I now have my other computer up and running with Win 8.1 and I can’t see what all the who ha was about it’s as easy to get use too as Win7 was.
Welcome. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. Win 8 is an excellent performer.

OK there’s no start menu but how often do you need to use that anyway, I just stuck a few Icons on the desktop and that’s all I need for now and ALT- F4 shuts her down
If you will continue to take my advice, the first being to get Win 8, then you can continue with desktop icons as I do, or you can get either a free or pay version of Start Menu. I don't have a traditional Start Menu button and do not miss it anymore. The Start button on Win 8 is plenty when combined with desktop icons. You don't need a Control Panel icon either because it is in the Start button when you right-click on it.

I have Shutdown, Restart, Notepad and Calculator as desktop icons. I also placed a "god-mode All Commands" icon on the desktop that gives you access to all the settings and controls of Win 8 in one screen. I don't use it but it's kinda cool. In the quick launch are web browser, email and Windows Explorer.

I got rid of most of the stupid charms bars except for the one on the right side of the screen that is activated only when the cursor is dragged to the bottom right side of the screen. If anyone knows how to get rid of it entirely I would be obliged.

Like every GUI OS I've had in the past, it took a while to customize the desktop but it has paid off in spades with the excellent performance of Win 8. The haters will keep on hating but they are irrelevant. I don't ridicule anyone for sticking with Win 7, but, for me, going from XP Pro x32 to Win 8.x Pro x64 has been a success.

I can’t wait to see how easy Win 10 will be..
You and me both, brother.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
...I can’t wait to see how easy Win 10 will be..
It seems Microsoft has listened to the critics and will reintroduce the start menu and start button in Windows 10. Link here.

For me the freeware "Classic Shell" program brought back the classic Windows GUI and turned Windows 8 into something I was familiar with. I found the new GUI was a nuisance to say the least.

Nice to hear that you have no problems with Windows 8.1. I think its most important feature is that does support a lot of old printers, even if that is not official :)

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,

OK there’s no start menu but how often do you need to use that anyway, I just stuck a few Icons on the desktop and that’s all I need for now and ALT- F4 shuts her down, I can’t wait to see how easy Win 10 will be..

View attachment 2233 click to enlarge...

The things that persuaded me to stay Win 7 64 was the difficulties I experienced for the first year using Win 7 with all the oddball software I have/ had. The smallest hint of compatibility issues with Win 8 was enough to have me back off.

I guess what you have done is take the risk, and been willing to deal with any outfall that may have eventuated. XP made sense to me, and it became comfortable to work with.
Wafting through layer upon layer of obscure labels to get to a simple enquiry, may well be MODERN computing, be logical to millions.......but then word association games for the sake of appearing to be super user interface is just asking me to drive around the block to get to my next door neighbour.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nice to hear that you have no problems with Windows 8.1. I think its most important feature is that does support a lot of old printers, even if that is not official :)
Do you know of any printers that Win 8 has not been compatible with?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Wafting through layer upon layer of obscure labels to get to a simple enquiry, may well be MODERN computing, be logical to millions...
What do you mean about layers of obscure labels? :confused:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Do you know of any printers that Win 8 has not been compatible with?
The very old Canon Smartbase MPC190 only has drivers for Windows 2000 and older. A patch is available for making the driver work with Windows XP. I have not been able to get this printer to work with Windows versions newer than XP.

Another old Canon printer that Windows update did not have a driver for is the Canon MP110. The newest available driver from the Canon website is for Windows Vista. I downloaded this driver and installed it under Windows 8.1 64 bit. It worked perfectly, and compatibility mode was not necessary.