Computer designed for Photoprocessing?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@CakeHole must carry some of the responsibility, both positive and negative for the fact that I will not be buying a 7D 11 in the foreseeable future. Now having absolved myself of all blame and shifted it onto HIM, regardless of whether that is fair or not, and having been prevailed upon by the Devil himself at a moment of weakness I confess to my sin.

Inspired by the specification supplied by @CakeHole I began researching just what is achievable at a figure below the cost of the machine he mentioned but that would at least have the credentials to be expected to perform........we will find out soon enough if I chose with a new wisdom or just more stupidity.

My final spec. is this, and the new toy is sitting under my study desk awaiting connection and commissioning tomorrow.

CPU Inteli7 - 4790 3.6GHz Quad Core Socket 1150
Motherboard ASUS Z97K / 4XDDR3
RAM corsair 8gb vengence ram X 4
SSD CORSAIR 512GB Force LX SATQ111
HDD Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA3 7200RPM 64MB cache
Case Thermaltake h21 with 500w PSU
LG 24x Dual Layer DVD-RW OEM Black
Microsoft 7 Pro 64bit, oem
LEDTEK QUADRO K620 PCI-E

It has cost $US 1808
BBP 1142
or Euro 1436

I am in hopes that this is finally a " proper photography (Photoshop & Lightroom) mean machine"

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
LOL if it is all my fault then i may as well make you spend a whole load more..... Look at a Quadro K6000 6GB card if you want a heart attack over prices ;)

Seriously though that will be a fine rig, if it is going to be used for things apart from image manipulation though consider a different GPU...
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Nothing wrong with the K620 what you have picked just if its for Gaming also you may prefer a more mainstream Nvidia card.

Also if you can stretch to a 4790K i7 CPU, the K parts you can overclock for even more speed :D (a 39xx, 49xx or 59xx K series i7 would be even nicer but im guessing that then breaks the bank)

Other than that wisdom, you will have a seriously decent machine. I take full responsibility for the drunken power it will bring you :D

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@CakeHole must carry some of the responsibility, both positive and negative for the fact that I will not be buying a 7D 11 in the foreseeable future. Now having absolved myself of all blame and shifted it onto HIM, regardless of whether that is fair or not, and having been prevailed upon by the Devil himself at a moment of weakness I confess to my sin.

Inspired by the specification supplied by @CakeHole I began researching just what is achievable at a figure below the cost of the machine he mentioned but that would at least have the credentials to be expected to perform........we will find out soon enough if I chose with a new wisdom or just more stupidity.

My final spec. is this, and the new toy is sitting under my study desk awaiting connection and commissioning tomorrow.

CPU Inteli7 - 4790 3.6GHz Quad Core Socket 1150
Motherboard ASUS Z97K / 4XDDR3
RAM corsair 8gb vengence ram X 4
SSD CORSAIR 512GB Force LX SATQ111
HDD Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA3 7200RPM 64MB cache
Case Thermaltake h21 with 500w PSU
LG 24x Dual Layer DVD-RW OEM Black
Microsoft 7 Pro 64bit, oem
LEDTEK QUADRO K620 PCI-E

It has cost $US 1808
BBP 1142
or Euro 1436

I am in hopes that this is finally a " proper photography (Photoshop & Lightroom) mean machine"

Seems like a lot of money for the specs. Just my opinion based on North American costs.

If you want to convince us it is a good choice for graphic imaging tell us about the specs on your screen. Far more important for graphic imaging than the horsepower inside the case.

RS
All my photographs contain all the right range of tones ...but not necessarily in the right places. :(

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
You can not really compare electronics prices around the globe. A PS4 stateside as an easy EXAMPLE is about $400 US. Here in the UK it costs around £350 or around $150 US more.

Some places just pay more.

EDIT: PS i think from my admittedly bad at times memory he already has a pretty decent monitor.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
We get milked on price here because just about all the components come from offshore, and through multiple middlemen. A person can get to feeling used up when one looks at prices in the USA for example.

Monitor is an eizo so that part should be ok.

Being reliant on others for computer tech know how I gave the builder a budget above what I paid, Task was to build a photoshop machine. When the quote came back I queried some components as not high end enough.........The answer I got was spending double did not add speed I would see day to day for still images. Going say 4x the price got me serious specifications that I might never use.......sadly I am NOT savvy enough to know. Asking around got me as many differing opinions as input so in the end........I just have to take the plunge and hope for the best.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
With the amount of RAM (32gig) you have gone for and the i7 CPU i do not think you will be disappointed, you would have to be one hell of a serious user to need more than what you have gone for.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
With the amount of RAM (32gig) you have gone for and the i7 CPU i do not think you will be disappointed, you would have to be one hell of a serious user to need more than what you have gone for.

Thanks, appreciate your comment, and the assistance along the way. :thumbsup:thumbsup

Cheers

Andrew

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Nice Rig,

Earlier this year I put together something for similar for my niece who also wanted a dedicated PS machine to work on. She is involved in the graphics in video games.

Asus PA279Q,
Wacom Cintiq 24HD Tablet
Intel i7 -4790K Devil's Canyon
Nvidia Geforce MSI GTX980
32 Gig DDR3 Mushkin Black
Sandisk Extreme II 240G x2 One for OS, One for PS files
WD 2TB Black 7200RPM - For backups & File Archives
Asus Z97A MB
Asus Blu Ray Writer
Asus Xonar DSX Sound Card
Fractal Design Define R4 Case
Seasonic 1000W Platinum PS
Arctic Cooling 140 mm PWM case fan.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO Cooler

She is still looking for some decent speakers. She missed a buy on some Kanto YU2 speakers for a little over $100 CAD

Near Dream machine......as the X99 was not out yet. Still it is a mean PS machine.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nice Rig,

Earlier this year I put together something for similar for my niece who also wanted a dedicated PS machine to work on. She is involved in the graphics in video games.

Asus PA279Q,
Wacom Cintiq 24HD Tablet
Asus Z97A MB
Asus Blu Ray Writer

She is still looking for some decent speakers. She missed a buy on some Kanto YU2 speakers for a little over $100 CAD

Near Dream machine......as the X99 was not out yet. Still it is a mean PS machine.

OMG :ep:ep:ep, I'd NEVER use all of that - ever!!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Nice Rig,

Asus PA279Q,
Wacom Cintiq 24HD Tablet
Asus Z97A MB
Asus Blu Ray Writer

WOW, drool, drool.

KAAAChing, KAAAChing.

Second item: Wacom Cintiq 24HD Tablet - that is somebody who is seriously into graphics imaging!

My wife is a retired banker, and has the outmoded concept that one should pay for necessities before buying the luxuries, so the Centiq is way down on my list.

She consistently ignores my logic that if you don't spend ALL your income on luxuries, how can you figure out what is REALLY necessary. Do we have a "Dear Abby" forum?

RS