compatible ink/cartridge for IP4500

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
crenedecotret,
Hi - almost missed this post being at the end of a thread that I haven't been following as much any more. But glad I found it.

I guess I have been using Profile Prism for around three years. Interesting comment about not getting good B&W prints. I have been pretty happy with my results. Sounds like you might be missing the left side of the profile histogram. If you do a test print from the file provided in PP (The Digital Dog) how does your Gray Scale at the top of the print look? Mine has an even gradient from real black to white.

By several passes do you mean going back and editing the profile to correct for wrong color, brightness, etc? With glossy paper I find I haven't had to do much, if any, editing. I have found that my initial profile is usually darker than my screen view (calibrated monitor using an I1D2) so I have been setting the Brightness setting in PP to +3 before generating the profile. I usually get only two to four squares Xed for both the Prism target and printer target processing.
But for Matte paper it is a different story. The Prism target still only has 2 to 4 Xed squares, but the printer target gives me between 40 to 60 Xed out. No matter how I scan the printer target I can't get the number down much. The resulting profile needs editing to get the colors right. PP editing isn't very intuitive to my thinking. Like to avoid it if possible. Seems others have problems with Matte paper.

As for scanning - I use a Canon Lide 60 scanner with the supplied Scangear/Canoscan software. As far as Scangear settings - there is a file on the Yahoo Groups Prismtalk forum titled LiDE Scanner Tips and Settings (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AFk-St...Canon LiDE 80-500F Profile Prism Settings.doc) that I follow. It uses a 48 bit scan and must be launched from a 48 bit capable program. I use PhotoStudio which came with the Canon scanner. The writer calls for setting the black level of the histogram to 25 - I usually let it set a 0 first and see how many Xes I get. A key to getting a good profile is to let the printer target dry completely. I often let it set several days before attempting a profile. I asked Mike Chaney (ddisoftware) about his thoughts on using Vuescan with my scanner. He told me it would be a waste of money ($80) if I only wanted Vuescan for PP scanning - that he thought the Canon SW was good enough for PP.

Hope these comments help. I'll be interested in hearing more. Maybe start a new thread. Not sure there is that much PP interest on this forum. Don't think many even use anything but the printer supplied canned profiles - just modify the print driver settings to make the print look OK. I do all my printing out of QImage and therefore want correct profiles that I can use out of the program.

Steve W.

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
Just to add to Steve W's above post on PP.

I have a similar, if not identical experience. Color profiles generated for glossy and semi-glossy papers are very good. I don't need to do additional editing. I use the scanner in the AIO MP970 and vuescan (happened to have the program). I scanned the targets with 4 passes using the recommended settings. As Steve said, it does not do a good job with matte paper. I get about 32Xs with the matte paper I use (mostly on the top row), whereas the other 2 papers there were only about 2 Xs. I have not experimented with B/W at all. yes, there's a huge difference in the quality of the profiles if the printed targets are not dried at least overnite. In my case, I get a green tinge.

I asked on the new DD software forum if the PP with matte paper can be improved but have not received any reply. http://www.ddisoftware.com/tech/

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Kefp said:
I asked on the new DD software forum if the PP with matte paper can be improved but have not received any reply. http://www.ddisoftware.com/tech/
I saw your post there and was also hoping that someone other than you or me (hopefully Mike Cheney) would have something to add. It must just be the way that our scanners respond to matte paper. Someone had posted on the old Yahoo Prismtalk group a long while ago about profiling matte paper, but I don't remember anything constructive there either.
Since you don't seem to be getting significantly better results with Vuescan and matte paper I'm glad I didn't purchase it. Same here with where the majority of Xes are. I also get some in the dark green squares.

Steve W.