compatible ink/cartridge for IP4500

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've noticed tint shifts between brands of paper, if you're getting bronzing on some paper as in grays don't appear neutral you probably need to adjust your color profile because even with grays your printer will be shooting color in it, as an experiment try maxing out your magenta adjustment and you'll notice the gray becomes pretty magenta tinted.

With my canon ip4600 I've noticed that some papers are more sensitive to showing magenta or yellows according to my trial and error profiling, I always keep cyan at 0 just as a reference so my color saturation remains consistent. For example between Kodak Ultra Premium and Kodak Regular my C,M,Y settings are 0,-10,0 +4 intensity on the premium, on the regular I'm running 0,-20,5 +2 intensity. It does make sense that the premium paper is more balanced and needs more ink (intensity).

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I used MIS inks for my Canon printers for several years and presume that they are IS inks based on the reference to MIS from the IS web site. I've been buying IS inks from Precision Colors for nearly two years now. The change from MIS to Precision Colors produced the same color rendition for my photos, so I would conclude that they are both IS inks. The good news is that Precision Colors positively identifies their Canon inks as IS inks, sells them at a much better price, and provides very good service. I use Kirkland photo glossy paper with these inks and find the results to be very similar to Canon OEM inks with Canon papers. Some prints are a bit warmer (slightly oversaturated toward the reds), but I had compared the Canon and MIS inks when I first started using them and liked the MIS (IS probably) results better. The only bronzing I've experienced with these inks was with Kodak glossy photo paper that I had purchased on sale about five years ago. The Kodak tech rep I spoke to suggested using the Kodak software for printing photos and suggested a setting to tweak the printer color output manually. Still had bronzing and gave the paper away.

I was advised that MIS could not identify the inks as IS because they did not sell IS inks exclusively. Some of their ink sets apparently come from different manufacturers, but the Canon sets appear to be IS in origin. Because Precision sells IS inks exclusively he is permitted to identify them as IS inks.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
on30trainman said:
But of more interest to me is: IS inks come from a specific ink company - I know who is making the ink. Hobbicolors has a source that he will not divulge as far as I know. He has been asked with no response.
Steve W.
I asked Dave at Hobbicolors about their source of ink. I did get a response. He did not want to disclose the name of the manufacturer because it would give their competitors access to the same ink. But he assured me that the ink is not made in China. The answer to me sure explains many things. Why would I tell my competitors where to get the ink to compete with me?

I have used several brand of inks recommended by this forum. I ended up using Hobbicolor's latest UW8 ink for my Pro9000. It is the ink that yields the richest colors and prints the best photos for me. Unlike other inks this ink never clogs my print head. I am addicted to this ink. This is how much I like it. I print a lot of photos. I don't judge the ink by a few photos only. I judge by over several thousands including those printed by different inks.

All the inks recommended by this forum that I have used are good in fact. I can tell you everyone of them is different. I can understand why one prefers one than others. I have used IS ink in the past. It's just not my choice. It is much more expensive. It has a tendency to clog print head when printing continuously.

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
.....if you're getting bronzing on some paper as in grays don't appear neutral you probably need to adjust your color profile.......

As mentioned before, bronzing with MIS/Kirkland glossy only occurs with black or very dark area eg black hair. No color shift that I notice. This is also specific with this combo of ink and paper. Anyway I have been using Hobbi with great result. As soon as I run out of MIS ink, I may try Precision Colors.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Dye based ink should not give bronzing reflections. Several years ago I obtained refill inks for my i960 of a Chinese brand. The black ink had bronzing problem on almost all the glossy photo paper I printed. Contacted the seller of the ink. The black ink was replaced and no more bronzing. It turned out that the black ink was a special blend made by Chinese factories for BCI-3ebk compatible cartridges. It was a dye based ink but has some characteristics of a pigmented ink including bronzing. Black pigmented ink was more expensive. They produced the dye ink that worked like pigmented ink for making their BCI-3ebk compatible cartridges. When I complained about the bronzing problem they sent me a different black ink and the brozing problem was gone.

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
Kefp said:
on30trainman.....Kirkland Glossy paper seems to give a slight greenish tinge with many inks including Canon OEM inks. Profile Prism profiles have cleaned that up. I have not been as successful in profiling Matte papers,.......
Received Profile Prism from DDI and had a chance to play with it last night. I must say, I'm impressed with the result and the simplicity. I profiled MP970/Hobbicolors/Kirkland Glossy, using the built in scanner and Vuescan as recommended. Will try profiling a matte paper, Staples supreme double sided matte, this weekend.
Played around with Profile Prism last weekend.
Just want to report back that it worked well. Any color casts are gone. The profiles made by this route works best with glossy>pearl>matte. The profile made for the matte paper is acceptable but not as good as those made for the other two.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Kepf,

Good to hear that you have had positive results with Profile Prism. The Canon scanning SW (CanonScan) is what I have been using and it seems to work OK even though DDI recommends Vuescan. I'm trying to justify the cost of the needed full blown Vuescan. Wish that the demo version could be used to find out if it really improves the scanning.

Steve W.

Bluey84

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
msmart said:
Thanks for pointing that out for me, Steve, about the iP3500. I saw they were CLI-8s but didn't notice it was just CMY. You saved me a trip. I'll continue to keep my eyes open, I may even do a WTB post on craigslist. You sure scored on our eBay find.

What do you think about inkjetreset's Permanent Refillable Ink Cartridge and the new RKS Auto Reset Chips? I know most people recommend only refilling OEM

Hmmm, the Blue resetter for $50 (on sale now) with 2-year warranty and easy battery replacement. Or the Red one for $34.95 with no apparent warranty, free shipping (as of now) and having to break it open to replace battery as described HERE. $15 more for blue, hmm.

stevec, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread too far. I think we're staying mostly on topic.
Great post havent seen any around my area with this stuff

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'll be a little off topic here. If anyone thinks this is worth starting a new thread, do right away :)
on30trainman, I've been using Profile Prism for quite a while (about a year) , and even if it's not perfect it's a good product. (never managed to get a good black and white print out of it)
I always need to do many adjustments after I generate the initial profile (I don't see how people do it with only one or two passes). I've always thought that the key could be to get a better scan right from the get go. What type of scanner do you use, and what settings do you use in the canon software?