Color lasers are coming, inkjet users noticed?

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was looking around Bestbuy yesterday and noticed a sales person introducing a laser printer to a customer, an hp1600 LaserJet, what catches me was he mentioned that the printer costs $269 now is on sale for $199, he also told me that the four cartridges comes with the printer is a full one. I always want to try out how does a color laser compare to an inkjet printer, and for $200 you get a laser printer plus 4 laser cartridge which alone would cost $400. How does that work out? I think I will get this printer and try it. I always like laser because the cartridges do not go dry and there is no head clog problem.The only drawback is it cannot use photo paper for picture, but with such a low price, I think there will be more and more people switch to laser in the near future.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
In damn Europe it's like 315,66 € and you can't buy new toner cartriges because it will be more expensive than to buy a new printer :(

I wonder that a cheap solution to run would be to buy a BW A3 laser printer for black and white only photos, again it' not recommended anywhere perhaps like you said there is no good photo paper for laser.

And to get a nice color gamut you need a combination of 3 components

1.printer
2.ink
3.paper

IF you have wonderful printer and no paper than all you can print is text and some graphic images.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've the impression the HP Color LaserJet printers print pretty good colors. Don't know about photos, but they make excellent CD / DVD covers.

diana

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I know that the laser printer is less cost when you print ,but In my life ,we use inkjet printer to print photo ,too
the laser printer i am not so formilar .use in this area ,the paper and ink is very important .I am agree with Smile .:)

http://www.huihang800.com

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was going to buy the hp 1600 today until I went to Bestbuy to look inside the printer once more. I opened the front cover which exposed the four toners inside, then I find on each cartridge there were small prints said it is a trial cartridge. Right next to the 1600 was another hp color laser printer, looks the same, the model says hp2600, I opened the cover and looked at the cartridges, and they don't have the world "trial" on them. The price tag of the 2600 is $399, a difference of $200, and there were another next to it uses the same cartridges, forgot the model number, but again it has regular cartridges instead of the trial version. This makes me think the 2600 would be a better buy because for the four cartridges alone will cost $400, and if I bought the 1600, after a few hundred pages I will have to spend another $400 to get it print again. I have to think again about getting a color printer for now.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
ltsang said:
I was going to buy the hp 1600 today until I went to Bestbuy to look inside the printer once more. I opened the front cover which exposed the four toners inside, then I find on each cartridge there were small prints said it is a trial cartridge. Right next to the 1600 was another hp color laser printer, looks the same, the model says hp2600, I opened the cover and looked at the cartridges, and they don't have the world "trial" on them. The price tag of the 2600 is $399, a difference of $200, and there were another next to it uses the same cartridges, forgot the model number, but again it has regular cartridges instead of the trial version. This makes me think the 2600 would be a better buy because for the four cartridges alone will cost $400, and if I bought the 1600, after a few hundred pages I will have to spend another $400 to get it print again. I have to think again about getting a color printer for now.
I remember the same situation when I needed cheap printer for client. I went to a shop and they had pixma 1300 is was cheaper than 1600 but it had only one cartrige instead of two. So you would print black with color cartrige and when it runs dry you woud spend twice the initial cost of the printer.

cogvos

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi!

In the UK the 1600 is around 120 pounds (I guess about double that in dollars). It's a cut down version of the 2600n here which comes with an eithernet card. You'll apparently get 1000 pages using the trial cartridges and 3000 using the standard. I say apparently as this is what I was told by a salesman (pinch of salt time). I've been looking at this as a replacement for a now defunct Canon (see separate plea for help) however there are a couple of reviews on the net where the user has problems with gradually greying prints. Could be a problem with waste toner. The other thing I am not sure about is that lasers do not have a good reputation when it comes to printing full colour photographs unless you pay a *lot* for the printer. Anyway hope this helps.