Collect Printer Clogging Statistical Data

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The only proven time I've experienced a clog, was with a used Canon i9900 that I bought that had not been used in a while by an eBay seller, and was shipped with the carts removed. Standard clean cycles with newly refilled carts failed to be effective. A head soak and a light pressure "flush" restored it 100%.

Wayne

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If all nozzles are proven to be depositing ink (firing), how can anything be clogged? A streaky print can be caused by other root causes besides clogs, such as worn nozzles that mis-direct ink, causing visible streaking.

Agreed, but mis-direct worn nozzles usually happens when they are partially clogged, overheated etc. You need polarizing microscope to confirm this, since users here can't do this perhaps there should be option to select "mis-direct worn nozzles" as problem their having this particular printer model

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Agreed, but mis-direct worn nozzles usually happens when they are partially clogged, overheated etc. You need polarizing microscope to confirm this, since users here can't do this perhaps there should be option to select "mis-direct worn nozzles" as problem their having this particular printer model
A very close examination of service test print matrix (say, with a loupe) will reveal mis-directed ink. If even "aggressive cleanings" won't cure it, the print head is shot. and will have to be renewed for precision (photo-quality) work.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I can definitely verify airlock problems between the ink and sponge chambers. I have a set of an older type of HP564XL cartridges for my HP Photosmart. These are similar to Canon cartridges. I got them from a recycling bin. I like them because they have windows in the ink chamber, so I can see exactly why my printer quits :eek: working. On at least two occasions one of them has quit delivering ink even though the ink chamber is full. When I take the cartridge out and give it a little rap to dislodge a bubble between chambers, ink starts draining into the sponge, and bubbles fills the ink chamber.

Sometimes I get a little streaking that clears up by itself overnight.

I've never removed a head to clean it, but I have had many instances of suspected or proven air locks. So far no problem with a damaged printhead. So you can put me down for zero clogs -- I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts