Collect Printer Clogging Statistical Data

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hello, it is a great idea that we as a community could make it possible to collect Printer clogging statistical data. The real data is available to EPSON, Canon, HP etc. they will never share it with it's users. Given the popularity of this forum it would be possible to make forum members after 10 posts or so to prevent spam share their data about basic printer info and clogging rates.

I would suggest to collect this information:

-Printer Brand name (EPSON, Canon, HP, Other)
-Print Model
-Print head type: (Piezo, Thermal)
-Clogged print head times that was able to clean with simple clean
-Clogged print head times that was able to clean with deep clean
-Clogging cleaned with cleaning fluid
-Printer rating (with 5 starts etc.)

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
We definitely can't force the members to share this info, but we do strongly encourage that they share as much as possible, and your list of points is a great idea of data points to share!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't know how advanced is this forum, perhaps there can be a plugin written that allowed forum members to share this data? Other members could browse the data. Perhaps somebody is interested in particular printer so having such data would be huge eye opener and a reason to join, participate in our forum.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think you not going to get anywhere collecting data of how often or how many times
forum members printers having a clogging problem, what is a clog anyway ?

Because 95% of poor output is usually down to ink starvation and not in fact a clog at all,
Identifying a clog correctly is the single biggest problem that many newbie’s face.

I’ll start it off for you by saying I don’t do clogs at all i.e. I very seldom if ever have a problem
with a clog on any on my printer, they just don’t clog full stop.

If you print regularly enough and use only OEM cartridges with good quality inks then clogging
should never be a problem when using any of the Canon printers.

If for whatever reason you’re unfortunate enough to suffer from a clog then a normal head clean
is usually sufficient to deal with it without losing any sleep over it.

That’s my experience anyway but I can’t speak for any other forum members.. :old

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
True clogs and what appears to be a clog, but due to air or cartridge ink flow problems occurs under such differing conditions, that you would not be able to make heads or tails out of the data collected and I think would be often misleading.

Joe

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I second the sentiments of The Hat and Jtoolman. I have been using my i9900 for about 8 years and have seen quite a few different "clog" problems over the years. It is my opinion that almost all of the "clogs" have been due to ink starvation that pulls air into an ink channel, with the starvation being caused by a cart delivery problem. There have been a few instances of severe clogs that completely blocked a channel, but these clogs were located in the plastic part of the print head and required disassembly to clear.

I will comment that when I change any cart(s), I always immediately print or at least run a nozzle check before letting the printer sit. If none of the carts registered as "low" before the cart change, a cleaning cycle should first be run to set up the "ink link" from the cart's sponge all the way to the nozzles and guarantee that any air bubbles are removed before printing (the printer automatically triggers a cleaning cycle when it senses that a "low" cart is no longer low). It does seem that letting your printer sit for any length of time with an air bubble in an ink channel is not a good thing, and that it can take a number of cleaning cycles to clear the effects of this type of "clog".

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm thirding previous sentiments...

I've just completed a substantial article on an air lock purge "clog" of the type common in PX700, TX and Artisan models to the 837 and it's based around the common misconception that the problems are dried ink instead of air related.

Add to the fact that third party consumables are often a mixed bag with almost no consistency unless the user is buying known manufacturer brand inks and using nothing else.

It would certainly be useful to have some stats on printers that are more prone to "clogs" but frankly I'd rather see more effort put into comprehensive guides on things like proper refilling, priming and remedial processes like printhead cleaning, etc..

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
It may be easier to collect reliable data on experience with print head replacements (on those with user-replaceable heads) and printers replaced due to print head failures that were uneconomical to repair (on those with non-user replaceable heads).

The appearance of "clogs" is subject to too many other root causes. Particularly if only "standard nozzle checks" are printed rather that more informative service test prints.

Wayne

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Clarification what is a clog:

A clog is when you have to take other means than printer built-in head cleanings to fix it. An example would be

Canon:

- taking head out to soak in windex
- use cleaning cartridges
- take head out and syringe and tube to force fluid

Epson

- take syringe hook it printer parking station to suck fluid trough the head
- use cleaning cartridges with the above or simply printer in-built cleaning routine.

Nobody can mistaken this for anything else because you must likely already tried switching carts, changing CIS, etc by the time you decide to take active actions on removing clogs.

Also a clog can be considered streaky lines in print while printing best you can. Not nozzle checks as if those shows some faint lines if nozzles non firing that doesn't mean you will be able to see them in print. And also I have had a situation when there is perfect nozzle check but photos show faint lines, change head - problem solved. So a print is final comparison for printer print quality.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Also a clog can be considered streaky lines in print while printing best you can. Not nozzle checks as if those shows some faint lines if nozzles non firing that doesn't mean you will be able to see them in print. And also I have had a situation when there is perfect nozzle check but photos show faint lines, change head - problem solved. So a print is final comparison for printer print quality.

If all nozzles are proven to be depositing ink (firing), how can anything be clogged? A streaky print can be caused by other root causes besides clogs, such as worn nozzles that mis-direct ink, causing visible streaking.