Clogging of new Pro9000 print-head with MIS inks... what's going on?

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, It's great to find a group with in-depth discussions of inks, printers and ink-refilling. Looks like a treasure trove of information.

I'm a graphic arts professional (illustrator) and daily use two wide format printers... one of which is a Pixma Pro9000.

I have been having a lot of trouble with MIS inks for the Canon Pixma Pro9000 from inksupply.com.

The problems I have seem very illogical. Maybe someone knows the solution.

After buying the new Canon Pixma Pro9000 last October, I used up the original cartridges and then purchased an inksupply.com refill kit from inksupply.com. Everything seemed to be going fine for about 2 months as I refilled the carts about 3 or 4 times.

But then I started getting repeated clogging in the PM and LC carts. Finally I sent away for a new Canon print-head, thinking this would fix the problem. But it didn't.

I received the new print-head and put it in at once. However, I was amazed to discover just 15 minutes after installing the brand new replacement print-head, that streaking and clogging began to appear in the printouts and the nozzle check!

I immediately purchased an OEM Canon Pixma PM cartridge and then the troublesome nozzle worked correctly. The only conclusion I could reach is that MIS inks must not be compatible with the Canon print-head or something. Could this be?

Also I notice when I hold the cartridge to the light that there is loose particulate matter floating in the ink cartridges. This is noticeable on the PM and Y cartridges because they are the lightest color and easiest to see through. Here's a link to a close-up photo of these particulates...

2282155649_13644f930b.jpg

Is this normal to have particulates like this inside the ink cartridge? Might this some sort of ink residue that has coalesced inside cartridge from the pigment in the ink? Something from the sponge? I am baffled.

I also wonder how many times it is possible to refill the Canon OEM carts before they need to be replaced?

Does anyone have any ideas as to this odd behavior in the rapid clogging of a brand new print-head, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have ordered a new set of Canon cartridges to replace the original set, which all must have particulate matter inside them.

I can't figure out what's going on here. It's not the print-head... it's not the electrical contacts... why does the streaking of clogged nozzles recur so soon after installing a new print-head?

Could it be something in the ink?

Any ideas much appreciated...

Thanks...

JZ :( :( :(

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Canon i9900, which I believe uses the same head. I also use MIS inks, however they are very old. I found that Cyan, Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta would grow bacterial goop in the ink and in the head if the printer had not been used for awhile. This goop ruined three print heads, as I couldn't clear the clogs.

I posted information about the problem about 2 1/2 years ago.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=239

I started having the problem last year after the temperature went up during the summer. It seems that the goop grows while the ambient temprature is high.
I'm not sure if you are having the same problem but the chunks of stuff you have floating in your ink isn't good.

I started using Hobbicolors Ink and haven't had the problem yet.
http://search.ebay.com/hobbicolors_...fsopZ32QQkeywordZhobbicolorsQQrprZ8QQxpufuZxa

As for refilling I have refilled my cartridges up to 6 times and haven't had any problems. However, the new Hobbicolors cartridges are great and don't cost much when purchased with a refill kit.

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's very interesting. I guess what has me perplexed is that the ink bottles themselves don't have any particulate matter in them. I bought them last November, and it's been cold all winter... and these particulates look more solid than 'goopy'.

I read that occasional purging of the carts is a good procedure. That's good to know.

This list is a gold mine of information to do with refilling Canon carts...

Thanks so much!