Clogged Canon print head

colors

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You can get a printhead for i9900 for about $93 at Inkcessories.com

http://www.inkcessories.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=70

They were out of them for a while but I see they got them back.

Not intended as advertisement, but this is a pretty good price compared to $125 to $165 at other places and I had to go through quite a list on Google before I found them.

Nice to know ahead of time if you're gonna take apart your print head as I expect many of us did after reading this thread :)

nice work Grandad35, very helpfull info and it saved me $93 (plus shipping).

rbaer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
PrecisionRoller.com has them for about $10 more. Excellent service. I used them when Inkcessories was out of stock...

Yes, they're genuine Canon sealed boxes.

DRoss

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Buy from "inkcessories.com" thru amazon and save 2 bucks. $90.95
Search Amazon for "Canon I9900 printhead" and they pop up.

ajitsanghvi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend a very good quality Canon photo printer(s) which also does a relatively good job of printing?
I have been using iP4000 for a while but it is getting the printhead clogged too frequently now and would like to replace it.
Thank you.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
more info here:

i have a canon s600 (4 color, like the ip3000, both use same black). i put the 3rd party black ink cart that royally screwed my ip3000 up into the s600...and it started doing the same thing, started printing black...then black was dissapating after one 1 test print, then no black..IMMEDIATLEY took it out and put my GENUINE canon balck cart back in...and it printed fine before damage to the head. i think the sponge (circular; not big square one)that feeds from the cart to the head may be the problem... seems it looks like its deteriorating...so particles must have screwed my ip3000 from that 3rd party cart.

got the carts from www.summitimage.com colors do fine...seems black is killing me now. i figured i would just use genuine canon balck in my ip3000 after this...but head seems permantly screwed. so the genuine black doesn't work now either in the ip3000 (but it does in the s600; tells me a head prob) i can get fluid through the nozzels...but seems the clog is in the plastic housing that hards the carts..not the nozzles.... no luck unclogging or getting the flow it should in compariosn to the color ones.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tried again to unclog.

used warm water and syringe, took apart... nozzles seem clear.... tried again to force water through inlet holes to outlet holes in PLASTIC housing (where gasket is). wasn't much flow as usual...kept at it... then wooosh.... high flow from the black portion. got my hopes up.....HOPING this had solved it. put back together.... no black printing again.

now i am wondering if the puge unit for the black portion isn't working? flashing yellow 4 times sometimes...means NO INK or PURGE UNIT failure rom service document.

going to look this weekend for another canon CMYK (4 color) printer that uses the standard inks...not the chromaink line beacsue i want to be abelt o still get them cheap....wonder if i can get chromaink 100 year inks for refilling or carts?

i don't need the extra colros such as light cyan and light magenta or red, blue or green or dye black for my line of work. just CMYK ink printing.

i am about at wits end with this ip3000 head...not worth buying a new head..might as well get a $100 printer!

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I can empathize with you,the same thing has happened TWICE to my Pixma 5000
It is the Pigment bases BCI-3ebk that is the problem...you just cant fill them with third party ink and not have a problem,the other four are fine (CYMB)but I have learned the hard way that if you want to use third party cartridges for the "Big Black"you are eventually going to clog your black,,,

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i agree danny. i MAY buy another head...and use ONLY Canon BLACK...the other colors are just dyed water....seems no particles to give problems like the pigmented black.

strange thing though... i have been using these same black carts in my s600 before (i bought like 40 of em) and no problems... EXCEPT for that ONE BALCK cart that screwed my ip3000. i am guessing it was just one thta did it. but i get flow from the nozzles and pickup using syringe/warm h20. so guessing the purge thing died now? i give up. s600 back on the desk.

McSpin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I came across this thread and thought it might help with my two clogged Canon printers. The first is a Pixma ip1500, the second is an i350. They take the same cartridge and the print heads look the same, but are not interchangable. In both, the black ports are completely clogged. They clogged while using 3rd party inks. Neither printer made it through more than 3 or 4 refills before clogging.

My cleaning process was very intensive. I dismantled the printheads completely. Soaked them in many things, including, water, 90% iso.alcohol, and denatured alcohol. I made fitting out of vinyl tubing to fit all the ports and connected my air compressor to them at 120 psi. I was able to easily clear the color ports and they print fine, but I can't even get a bit of black to print. I can get water to pass through the black port, and cannot detect even the smallest amount of black ink coming out, when cleaning. However, they don't work at all.

The cost of the replacement print heads exceed the original cost of the printer (beyond rediculous in my eyes). My next step is the break open the plastic housing on the one I decide to sacrifice (this will ruin the printhead). I'm doubting that I will find any clogged ink, but I will post my findings here.

I have a bit of a delimma. I do not need high quality printing and do not use the printers for photos. I can't rationalize the cost of OEM ink. It's cheaper to buy a new printer every 5 or 6 cartridges. However, buying new printers constantly certainly doesn't make for cheap printing. Has anyone out there found a cheap solution that works - long term? Canon seemed to have a nice inexpensive solution with the separate print head and the 3rd party inks, but it also appears that they are making sure that solution is a very temporary one.

rbaer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A few suggestions that have gotten me on the right track (finally!):

- don't go for the flat-out cheapest ink. I followed Grandad's suggestion on the Formulabs ink from alotofthings.com for my i9900. the ink and the people have been great. they really know what they're talking about, and are actually willing and able to help you out with problems and questions. in larger quantities, the ink is still very inexpensive. they also sell cartridges, both filled and virgin.

- print at least a sample page every week.

- don't let the cartridges run dry - when the driver warns you the tank is low, or when you start seeing streaks, fill the cartridge.

Doing this I've had no problems and print very inexpensively...

one last thing - alotofthings.com also has a cleaning solvent that you can fill a cartridge with and print. this has also been a big help cleaning out clogs.