Clog or electrical failure?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
@Trigger37

If they click on your name (to the left), they can select "Start a Conversation" with you. They can then include their e-mail address in that conversation.

Each color has two complete columns of nozzles which are staggered by 1/2 of the hole spacing so that the ink dots from the 2 columns are shuffled between each other. If 1/2 of one column suffers an electrical failure, you will get the pattern shown.

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Trigger 37.

Thank you to try to understand what happened to my printhead.

I don't know if the B200 dissapear due to try to enter in "service Mode"...

I have scanned a nozzle test increasing the saturations and the contrast. You will see that the PhotoCyan test is divided with 2 parts with exactly the same height. These symptoms seems to not to be a clog.

2013-10-2416-27-49_0048_zpsb798448a.jpg

I have tested 3 different PhotoCyan cartidges with the same results.

I have tried unsuccessfully to enter in Service mode to print the Service Test Printing. I don't know if these instructions are correct:

1) Power off Printer
2) Push and hold "Resume" button and then push and hold "Power" button
3) Hold the Power button, then release and 2 times press Resume button
4) Led indicators must change
5) Release all buttons
6) Then printer in Service Mode

To print Service Nozzles test, press "Resume" 1 time and press Power

It is the correct process?

I have failed my first attempt and I am a little bit worried to unconfigure something.

Do you agree that the problem of the PhotoCyan color seems not to be a clog?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Aruiz,...first off you are very lucky that the printer came back to life after the B200 error. Now lets talk about the condition of the head. The nozzle test you included above doesn't have that much contrast but the PhotoCyan does show ink in both upper and lower sections. This tells me there is nothing wrong with that section of the head except "Clogs". If there were any kind of electrical failure on either side, you would not see "ONE" drop from any nozzle. What you can do is to get into Service Mode and print the Service Test Print and that will give you an image of EACH AND EVERY NOZZLE IN THE ENTIRE HEAD. some of the problem could be due to a poor ink cart,..not supplying sufficient ink to sustain the printing,..and again any part of the head that is clogged will prevent the ink from reaching the nozzles and sustaining a full color band.

They have changed so many things on this web site I can't remember how it used to be,..but there used to be a way for you to send me an email and if you could I would send you my PDF file on cleaning heads. Many people don't realize just how difficult it is to get the clogs out of these heads and the very tiny nozzles make it even worse. I for sure would tell you NOT TO PRINT ANOTHER DOCUMENT WITH THAT HEAD UNTIL YOU GET IT CLEAN. Post a picture of the Service test print and that will tell the whole story. Use a photo editor to enhance the contrast so it is more visible. It doesn't matter how bad the colors look.

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you The Hat for your advices.

In fact, yesterday I have bought the refurbished print head on ebay that I linked some posts ago. It was the last unit that the seller had.

I think that $99 for a refurbished printhead is expensive but I am involved as a hobby with color management and with the issue that you see on the PhotoCyan color, I can't play with my printer on color management.

But I don't want to do nothing that it can damage the printer.

Thank you again for your advices.

Opening a print head is a real No No and should only be done in a last resort and in your case it was.

Your print head has had it, dead bang down the hole and there’s nothing more that you can do to it
except maybe blow the hell out of your logic board continuing to use it.

My advice is to take the hit and move on from it, print heads can die from no fault of your own,
you now have the difficult choice of buying a new print head or a new printer, not cheap either way.

I hate to be the one to break it to you like this, but I’d also hate for you to damage your printer
beyond repair trying in vain to find a magical fix for it sorry.. :(

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
IMHO, your explanation has a lot of sense, Grandad35.

But thinking that my printhead will go to the trash, I can use another cleaning method that the used with my print head.

Thank you.

@Trigger37

If they click on your name (to the left), they can select "Start a Conversation" with you. They can then include their e-mail address in that conversation.

Each color has two complete columns of nozzles which are staggered by 1/2 of the hole spacing so that the ink dots from the 2 columns are shuffled between each other. If 1/2 of one column suffers an electrical failure, you will get the pattern shown.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Now that i see a much better image of the nozzle test I have to agree.

Anyone want to guess what changed to bring his printer back from the B200. What shut his system down. Was it over temp of the head,..or over current detection in that power supply,...what was it that took it down,...and why did it come back.