CLI-8M - empty when it's visibly full??

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This is a bit of a new one on me because I've never really used OEM cartridges too often... but hey, thought I'd share.

Testing the MX700 which is having some CIS issues and decided to pop some OEM cartridges into the printer that were pretty much full... They were opened recently for use in my iP4500 but when for some reason the printer seems to think that the Magenta cartridge is actually nearly empty.

OK, perhaps I'm going mad here but if the cartridge has a wet sponge, is three quarters full on the spongeless side and if you blow in the vent there's ink coming out, this is not a "nearly empty" cartridge now is it?!

Either way it seems the printhead is now buggered, proof positive that if you start getting banding issues you can expect your printhead to be damaged... Of course the fact that the cat just jumped on top of the printer probably won't have helped it either LOL :D

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Turn off your ink monitor. It just recognizes the cartridge being empty.
Read your manual for the printer.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Inkin said:
Turn off your ink monitor. It just recognizes the cartridge being empty.
Read your manual for the printer.
Inkin, why don't you read the "Etiquette Manual" before randomly and wantonly posting here.

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry jflan,

What part of the "Etiquette Manual" would you like me to read?

All I did was make a suggestion.

Romakpect

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
maybe you can explain how exactly to turn off the ink monitor...

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, I'll try my best.
I don't own this printer or have the manual.

After first time refilling.
1. Go to your properties for your printer. See if you can find a way to the ink monitor. Remove the check mark.
(You only need to do this once.) You can turn it back on if you put all new cartridges in.

2. Do a cleaning. If a dialog box pops up, keep saying yes that you want to print.

3. If a dialog box pop up with "Back" or "Cancel Printing" don't click on anything.
Instead hold the feed button on your printer for 5 seconds.

Now if you ever replace a cartridge you only have to do from steps 2-3.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Inkin said:
OK, I'll try my best.
I don't own this printer or have the manual.

After first time refilling.
1. Go to your properties for your printer. See if you can find a way to the ink monitor. Remove the check mark.
(You only need to do this once.) You can turn it back on if you put all new cartridges in.

2. Do a cleaning. If a dialog box pops up, keep saying yes that you want to print.

3. If a dialog box pop up with "Back" or "Cancel Printing" don't click on anything.
Instead hold the feed button on your printer for 5 seconds.

Now if you ever replace a cartridge you only have to do from steps 2-3.
Before I started following instructions from someone who says "I don't own this printer or have the manual",I'd do a search on this forum.It is well documented here.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Inkin said:
What part of the "Etiquette Manual" would you like me to read?
Read the whole thing, from cover-to-cover.
Should you have any further questions, by all means ask.
Report back with your findings.

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: avolanche & jflan,

Don't worry I decided I won't make anymore suggestion here.

These are the rules here. Note #2, 5 & 6.

Hi, Here are some rules and info for the Nifty-Stuff Inkjet Forum:

1. No self promotion and/or advertising: We ask that forum members do not use our inkjet forum to advertise products and services.
2. Please maintain a friendly and courteous environment. Weve got a great group of people on this forum and want to maintain our wonderful atmosphere.
3. Before you post questions like, My nozzles are plugged. Or My printer wont print. Please visit the FAQ section and also use the search tool. Most of these questions have been answered many times over.
4. If you do post a question, make your subject is as detailed as possible. Help!! isnt the best subject for a new post. A better example is, How do I reset the waste tank on my Canon i860? Oh, and always provide details on the manufacturer of your ink and cartridges.
5. Those of us who respond to your questions are glad to do so. Please help us help others: When you finally solve your problem, please post the solution (even if the "solution" was to buy a new printer). This feedback is vital to the forum and to our problem solving techniques.
6. Please return the favor of someone helping you by helping others. Even simple experiences with printing, refilling, photography, etc. is helpful to the group and to the forum as a whole.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Inkin said:
To: avolanche & jflan,

Don't worry I decided I won't make anymore suggestion here.

These are the rules here. Note #2, 5 & 6.

Hi, Here are some rules and info for the Nifty-Stuff Inkjet Forum:

1. No self promotion and/or advertising: We ask that forum members do not use our inkjet forum to advertise products and services.
2. Please maintain a friendly and courteous environment. Weve got a great group of people on this forum and want to maintain our wonderful atmosphere.
3. Before you post questions like, My nozzles are plugged. Or My printer wont print. Please visit the FAQ section and also use the search tool. Most of these questions have been answered many times over.
4. If you do post a question, make your subject is as detailed as possible. Help!! isnt the best subject for a new post. A better example is, How do I reset the waste tank on my Canon i860? Oh, and always provide details on the manufacturer of your ink and cartridges.
5. Those of us who respond to your questions are glad to do so. Please help us help others: When you finally solve your problem, please post the solution (even if the "solution" was to buy a new printer). This feedback is vital to the forum and to our problem solving techniques.
6. Please return the favor of someone helping you by helping others. Even simple experiences with printing, refilling, photography, etc. is helpful to the group and to the forum as a whole.
I agree fully with #2,5,and 6.The problem I have seen is that you hit this forum like a sledgehammer with 20+ posts(some to very knowledgeable members) and gave some poor suggestions,made some false statements(possibly from ignorance of the facts) and had a bit of an attitude.

You obviously rubbed some folks the wrong way.So it does not a whit of good to quote the rules to me or jflan.I have never felt compelled to respond in this way on this forum.It's a fantastic source of information.But I've never seen an "intro" like yours.If I am misinterpreting things,I apologize.I will not respond to your posts ever again,just in order to follow the rules and keep up the great,informative nature of these forums.