CLI-8BK not being recognized in ip4500

punkmedics

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have three canons all using CLI-8 cartridges. I have two ip4500 and an ip4300.

I use the top fill method on a set of 5 rotating cartridges and print labels on glossy white stock.

Recently the main ip4500 was no longer recognizing the newly filled and newly reset CLI-8BK.
popped in a another cart and same issue. Rest the first one and still the same error.

Grabbed the backup ip4500 cleaned the heads and same issue.
I can't seem to get any of my CLI-8BKs to recognize in any of my 3 printers

Also the amber light is flashing 4 times if that helps any.

I pulled out every cart swapped them all one at a time and still the same issue.

I'm at a loss at what to do next and worried i'm going to now break or throw something.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
punkmedics said:
I have three canons all using CLI-8 cartridges. I have two ip4500 and an ip4300.

I use the top fill method on a set of 5 rotating cartridges and print labels on glossy white stock.

Recently the main ip4500 was no longer recognizing the newly filled and newly reset CLI-8BK.
popped in a another cart and same issue. Rest the first one and still the same error.

Grabbed the backup ip4500 cleaned the heads and same issue.
I can't seem to get any of my CLI-8BKs to recognize in any of my 3 printers

Also the amber light is flashing 4 times if that helps any.

I pulled out every cart swapped them all one at a time and still the same issue.

I'm at a loss at what to do next and worried i'm going to now break or throw something.
If all the other cartridges but the CLI-8 Black function properly, then it is a problem with the CLI-8 Black cartridges only. If these are not OEM chips then that could be the source of the problem - failure to reset or be recognized.

According to an IP4500 Service Manual (Simplified) that I found on Google, four flashing lights means the ink tank is not installed [1660] or there is no ink in the tank [1600]. This error message could also occur if your resetter failed to reset the chip properly, the chip is damaged or out of position for some reason, there is some obstruction to a proper connection between the cartridge/print head/printer contacts such as oxidation of dirt/ink, or the cartridge is not seated properly.

Make sure the electrical contacts on the print head and printer are clean - a rubber pencil erasure can clean the contacts and/or isopropyl alcohol with a lint free cloth.

Make sure the cartridge is properly seated.

Consider resetting the chip again on the problem cartridge. Consider changing the battery in the resetter and then resetting the chip again.

Try a known working cartridge or purchase a new OEM Canon cartridge.

Canon also recommends trying:
"Replace the applicable ink tank, or press the Resume/Cancel button to clear the error without ink tank replacement."
The simplest and quickest way of figuring out the problem is to either buy a new OEM CLI-8 cartridge or change the battery in your resetter and try resetting the chip again. A new OEM CLI-8 Black cartridge would narrow the list of potential problems quickly, especially since you have other printers to try it in for confirmation of function.

I hope this is simply rectified by the above "fixes". Be glad the error lights you see are not the same as for my printer - four flashes is a purge unit error. The fixes for that are expensive if done by a shop or require a lot of work taking apart and putting the printer back together again if I do it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
punkmedics said:

Here is something else you can try if the above don't work for you.
There may be two different things that can cause the problems youre having.

Did any of your cartridges leak at all and are you using OEM or compatible cartridges,
if you dont have a complete set of one or the other installed that can cause this error also.

Its more likely to be a commutation error between your print head and your cartridge Chips.
You will have to remove the print head so (try pulling the plug out when the carriage is in the centre)
and clean the electric contacts on the back of the print head with a clean cloth and alcohol
then reinstall the print head close the lid and power back on the printer.

Leave it for a few minutes to settle down and watch your on screen messages for information
now lift the lid and insert one cartridge then use something (like a screw) to keep the lid contact switch closed.

Watch the carriage move back and forth and check to see if the red led light is activated on that cartridge
then look at the on screen message to see if that cartridge is now accepted.

Do this in turn with each cartridge till you have the full set installed but try and install the BK cartridge 3rd or 4th dont leave it till last,
(remove screw each time to simulate lid closure) and dont be tempted to put your hands in while the lid is open.

Patience and safety are paramount at all times, but coloured hands are usually acceptable, good luck.. :)

punkmedics

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions from both of you :)

The Hat. Starting with what you suggested only because i need to try to find some batteries for the re-setter and thought i'd try something i can do right now.

I only use OEM Cartridges with top fill and i rotate through 4 or 5 sets though at this point i'm sure I've mixed up the sets.

I removed the head and cleaned the points with alcohol. Also tried to clean the points on the cartridges.

put in the Cyan and that worked. put in the magenta and also working, then put in the bigger PGBK which worked.
Tried the Black and it says the cart can't be recognized. continued with yellow and that was fine.

Tried the other 3 Blacks and the same issue.

stratman: looks like i'm off tonight to find some batteries for the re-setter to see if that helps.

punkmedics

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just wanted to update on my cartridge woes. I ended up ordering in some batteries for the resetter but it didn't make any difference to the CLI-8BK that wouldn't recognize. I finally found some old oem CLI-8BK that i havent modded and reset one of those and presto it initialized. I reset the other two empty carts that i've never used and they worked fine as well.

I then tried to reset the orginal 3 i've been using and they still wont recognize in the printer. Is there some type of hard limit to these carts. i find it weird that all three decided to not work at the same time.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
punkmedics said:
Is there some type of hard limit to these carts. i find it weird that all three decided to not work at the same time.
Doubtful. Most likely either you or your resetter borked them.

Congrats on getting up and running again.