CLI-221 and the CLI-226 both use the same type of ink ?

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is my understanding that both CLI-221 and the CLI-226 use the same ink, Chromalife 100+. Why do some vendors advertise that the ink for CLI-226 are specially formulated ? Are the OCP ink from R-Jet Tek some of the very best and the cheapest ? I have read some posts over at the dpreview.com claiming as such and this ink is as good as IS and Hobbicolors? Any feedback here ?

FIY, I have Canon ip4700 and MG6120 and would like to buy bulk ink I can use in both.

M

macbroom

dvdit said:
It is my understanding that both CLI-221 and the CLI-226 use the same ink, Chromalife 100+. Why do some vendors advertise that the ink for CLI-226 are specially formulated ? Are the OCP ink from R-Jet Tek some of the very best and the cheapest ? I have read some posts over at the dpreview.com claiming as such and this ink is as good as IS and Hobbicolors? Any feedback here ?

FIY, I have Canon ip4700 and MG6120 and would like to buy bulk ink I can use in both.
My ink supplier inkproducts.com sent me bottles with labels that say 221-226 on them. I don't know their ink supplier but in their case the inks are the same for both cart models.

I printed a nozzle check before the ink change on OEM inks, and after 2 refills on aftermarket ink and I couldn't tell any difference.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
macbroom said:
dvdit said:

My ink supplier inkproducts.com sent me bottles with labels that say 221-226 on them. I don't know their ink supplier but in their case the inks are the same for both cart models.
Thanks, macbroom. Your take on inks from you supplier ?

M

macbroom

As far as Canon goes I refilled my printers , MP 520, MP640, with color inks from 3 bottle Canon ink refill kits that USED to be available at staples in Canada. I refilled my PGBK with IMS ink that is part of refill kits I used to buy at Costco. For my MP 520 I used to buy OEM large PGPK and refill colors only, but now by buddy got her so she gets my leftover IMS black now!

The inks I used before worked good and the inks I use now also produce good results too, so maybe the resident ink experts can provide better advise than I can. :)

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
^^^I appreciate it . I will wait for some more feedbacks.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dvdit said:
It is my understanding that both CLI-221 and the CLI-226 use the same ink, Chromalife 100+. Why do some vendors advertise that the ink for CLI-226 are specially formulated ?

I don't know if there is a difference in the ink. But I don't believe there is a difference in basic print head technology. You should be able to stick to a same set of ink for printers with these two cartridge systems.

M

macbroom

Grandexp said:
dvdit said:
It is my understanding that both CLI-221 and the CLI-226 use the same ink, Chromalife 100+. Why do some vendors advertise that the ink for CLI-226 are specially formulated ?

I don't know if there is a difference in the ink. But I don't believe there is a difference in basic print head technology. You should be able to stick to a same set of ink for printers with these two cartridge systems.
Just to clarify:

MP 520.....PGI 5 and 3 CLI-8 color carts
MP 640.....PGBK 220 cart, CLI 221 BK cart, and 3 CLI 221 color carts, C,M,Y. Ip 4700 runs the same setup.
MG 6120...PGBK 225 cart, CLI 226 BK cart, CLI Grey cart and 3 CLI 226 carts, C,M,Y

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
macbroom said:
Grandexp said:
dvdit said:

Just to clarify:

MP 520.....PGI 5 and 3 CLI-8 color carts
MP 640.....PGBK 220 cart, CLI 221 BK cart, and 3 CLI 221 color carts, C,M,Y. Ip 4700 runs the same setup.
MG 6120...PGBK 225 cart, CLI 226 BK cart, CLI Grey cart and 3 CLI 226 carts, C,M,Y
Yes, correct. I have ip5200 as well and that uses PGI 5 and 3 CLI-8 color carts with Chromalife 100 ink while ip4700 and MG6120 use same size cartridge and it seems they use the same type of ink, Chromalife 100+.

M

macbroom

I used my CLI 226 inks on 2 carts except yellow for the last refill on my old (buddies) MP 520 and he hasn't complained yet and he prints a fair few photos.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Now, if I can get some feedback on OCP ink from R-JetTek...