Cleaning the sensor strip.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I noticed some smudges on the plastic sensor strip on my printer so I decided to wipe it clean with some alcohol. Wow it seems after a year or so of tons of photo printing quite a bit of ink mist has settled onto that strip that it turned the cleaning pad I used to gently wipe it magenta. I guess magenta seems prone to vaporizing onto the strip. It's probably a good idea to every once in a while clean that strip to keep printing accurately.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, but be very careful because there is a lot of stray ink inside your printer and you can end up making that timing strip even dirtier.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I used a small folded pad of tissue paper on a pair of tweezers so I wouldn't contaminate it. The entire inside of the printer has become pretty inked up over the life of the printer. I also removed and washed the foam overspray liner, tons of black ink came out. In fact I even ran through several sheets of presentation paper that I moistened with windex, I put several horizontal stripes across the paper and printed blank sheets from microsoft office to run the paper through the rollers, even more ink came out. Printers get amazingly dirty.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My MP760 that I had been using for many years got the dreaded Waste Ink Tank full message but I just reset it, believing, based on what other people had indicated on this forum, that it can hold several times more ink. But then when I took it in for repair recently, there was a puddle of black ink under it. When the repair shop couldn't fix it, I took it apart and the waste pads were full and overflowing, at least at the right hand end under the purge pump. So now I think it might be a good idea to set the printer on a shallow cooking tin when the waste ink tank full message comes up.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@ghwellsjr

Was it your first waste ink reset on the MP760 ?

Ever tried to print eeprom to see how much you printed thill waste in tank full ?

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, it was the first reset and no, I didn't print the eeprom but I used the printer for about four years.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
qwertydude said:
I noticed some smudges on the plastic sensor strip on my printer so I decided to wipe it clean with some alcohol. Wow it seems after a year or so of tons of photo printing quite a bit of ink mist has settled onto that strip that it turned the cleaning pad I used to gently wipe it magenta. I guess magenta seems prone to vaporizing onto the strip. It's probably a good idea to every once in a while clean that strip to keep printing accurately.
According to Encad support windex will do the trick.
http://www.wideformat.kodak.com/Sup...les/NJ1000i Technical Bulletin 8_09202005.pdf