Cleaning syringes?

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
A considerable part of the time I spend refilling I use to clean the syringes.
If I use the same syringe for the same color each time, is it necessary to clean them?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s right, the syringes you use don’t have to be cleaned every time, but there is an easier way to refill than using syringes, try the SquEasy way and forget about the syringes..
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Yes, I have the SquEasy fill bottles for my Canons. But for the Brother printers, I use the BroLuer tool and that requires syringes.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
An interesting question for those who use squeeze bottles with luer lock needles and caps. I suppose the same could be done with the needles on syringes as is done with the squeeze bottles -- cap the needle without flushing.

But what about the syringes themselves - do they need to be flushed? Would ink deteriorate the lining of the syringe or cause damage to the plunger material? I do recall that the smooth action of the plunger in the syringe is disrupted from repeated use and people have written about how to "recondition" this mechanism.

Still, the question remains about foreign contaminant growth in unflushed syringe/needle set ups. There is more opportunity for contaminant using a syringe rather than a squeeze bottle. A good topic for those on this forum who are long time syringe refillers and their experiences with malfunctions concerning both with syringes and their printers. Next would be to compare that with the experiences of those using squeeze bottles.

My experience...

1) I started out using syringes, flushing the syringe / needle after each use with tap water, but quickly changed over to Howard Electronics squeeze bottles.

2) I have only cleaned the squeeze bottles once after several years use with tap water. However, after each use, with the squeeze bottle in the upright position - needle pointing to the sky, I place a wadded up paper towel over the end of the needle and squeeze the bottle to remove residual ink in the needle, the idea being to prevent ink from drying up and clogging the needle.

3) I have gone through 2 print heads (first replacement was $40) with my Canon MP830 (purchased 10 years ago for $249). Given what we know now, the malfunction may have been a stubborn clog - Magenta IIRC - and not necessarily burned out nozzles. @The Hat's washing up liquid soaks were not known at the time.

4) I have used Precision Ink exclusively except for an occasional new OEM Canon cartridge.

5) My MP830 has been boxed and stored for 8 months. I am going to unpack and reinstall soon. We shall see if the print head survived.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
What is the proper way to store an inkjet printer so you will not have issues with the print head?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What is the proper way to store an inkjet printer so you will not have issues with the print head?
The simplest way to store a printer is to print one or two test sheets then run a deep head clean and shut the printer down, it can be stored that way for well over a year without difficulties, boxed.

On the other hand, the other way is to fill a spare set of cartridges with @pharmacist solution and run two deep head cleans with these carts in, but don’t try to print anything, then shut the printer down, the printer should last for years in this state packed away in a box somewhere safe..

The formula is as follows:

-3 ml propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerol)
-20 ml isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 ml
---------------------------------------

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Thanks "Hat". zZA Now... to find an extra set of carts to flush out...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you’re going to store the printer, why not use the set that’s in it, or get a very cheap set of empty compatibles on EBay.. ;)

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I'm going to look for an complete empty set and just flush them... but I ll need carts with the chips. So, if anyone has a set that want to get rid of...;)