Cleaning out BCI 6 cartridges. and BK3e too (if any different).

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to clean out some BCI 6 cartridges.
I read the details and saw the tools you were developing a few years ago and I'd like to see that post again - anyone have the link to that?
But it's been a few years since that, so I'm interested as to what the generally accepted best/easiest method is NOW.
If that's in a newer posting, can you please post the link. If the best method is embedded deep in that original cleaning post, please post the "post reply number"

If it's any different cleaning a 3eBK pigment ink cartridge (I've never dealt with these - yet, filling or cleaning), please send the best link for this cleaning method too (if any different).

Also, if a cartrigde has built up algae in the ink, can it be cleaned?

(Edit - I should have started this in summer when cold water felt good!!!)

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First i must say thanks to Grandad35 who first bring this up to the forum. It keep my printer alive as new for over three years now without troubles.

Here it is Grandad35 cleaning techniques: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=311
I remember on that thread someone come up to dry cart. with microwaves or with fans so you don't worry that you have to clean you cart in this winter.
Now i use this to clean my cart . It was design to refill cart without make hole on the cart but i just hate the mess of ink with that while i'm happy with German method.
http://www.inkjetsaver.com/bci-3 fill adapter.html
There are not thing difference between Pigment and Dye cart except Pigment cart just look gray not as white as dye cart.
Don't forget to search for Phamacist's post as he had come up to mix something to make a good cleaning liquid

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Somehow I kept on seeing posts that stated a need of purging BCI-6 ink cartridges. I am currently refilling a MP780 and an ip4300. I have not purged my BCI-6 and CLI-8 ink cartridges for over 6 months. It is my believe that if you refill them on a regular basis they really don't need purging. I used to purge them once every other month but I found that I very often forgot when I last purged them. It made no difference whatsoever to my printers. I decided to stop purging them and more than 6 months have passed. I do not detect any sign of problems.

I do purge my BCI-3ebk and PGI-5bk. I found that if they are purged before every refill they can be refilled with more ink and will last longer before they need to be refilled again. But sometimes I don't purge them (I am lazy sometimes) for 2 or 3 months. They still work OK but I can sense signs of reduced ink flow. I purge them once a months +/- now.

If you see algae growing in your cartridges you should replace them. In addition, switch your ink source. I have used some OEM ink cartridges that are many years old. They worked just fine and there was no algae in the cartridge. If an ink manufacturer can not control their ink from growing fungus in their ink I wonder how much they know about formulating inks.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

Excellent. It looks like the article's been tidied up a little since I last read it. Thanks for noting the search for cleaning fluid, although I'm hoping to avoid problems by keeping the ink flowing and possibly using windex on the purge port thing regularly, helping the head and the purge tubing stay clean and moist. No invasive print head surgery or high pressure stuff anymore, just long soaking on a pad of soaked with distilled water.

I have several old cartridges of various ages from various unkown sources, so I want to renew all the carts so they are all using my one type of new ink. Then I'll be able to see how this ink is working. I don't expect to have to clean (I presume that's the same as purge) them for many, 7?, refills.

Leo, are you saying I need to wash out the Pigment ink cartridge more regularly than the dye ink carts?

Leo, that may be a good question about manafacturers ability to control algae in their ink. Should ink stay algae free, or do all inhibitors die in time and need renewal, and I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. If that's the case, is there something we can add to bulk ink every year that will renew its algae fighting ability - a bit like a new dose of waterbed conditioner?

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
optimizer said:
Leo, are you saying I need to wash out the Pigment ink cartridge more regularly than the dye ink carts?

Leo, that may be a good question about manafacturers ability to control algae in their ink. Should ink stay algae free, or do all inhibitors die in time and need renewal, and I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. If that's the case, is there something we can add to bulk ink every year that will renew its algae fighting ability - a bit like a new dose of waterbed conditioner?
That's what I meant. The BCI-3ebk with pigment black ink needs to be purged more frequently, something like once every month +/-. It really keeps the print head from getting clogged.

I don't know if there is anything you can do to keep the ink from growing algae. Ink should be free from algae for 2 - 3 years the least. There are other reasons ink should be used in 2 years. I don't think it is a good idea to add pesticide to the ink to keep it from growing algae. Color dyes are organic and are food to microscopic bugs. But not all dyes attract bugs equally. The ink should be formulated with bug resistant color dyes. A very tiny amount of pesticide will be able to keep the ink from growing algae for many years.