CISS opinions on Canon ip4700

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am also buying an ip4700 and I have access to some CISS's from the web, like this one:

http://www.4inkandmore.com/cartridg...ntinuous-inking-system-prefilled-p-10315.html

1) I'm a big noob and just joined the site, but why is it that CISS for canon's are bad according to some of you?

Canon CISS are referred to as not recommended on this post: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5207

I mostly watch youtube videos on CISS to get my info, and I'd like to find out more.

I ask because I'm buying this for my parents, and using the German method of refilling ink is a little overwhelming for them, I like how in a CISS they can just pour the ink into the external tanks. I will also be using this as I am a student and it is great for printing documents because of the automatic duplexer.

If, as long as I keep a mark on the external tanks as to not fill in too much ink and keep "negative pressure" as mentioned in this post:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2498

Shouldn't the CISS be ok?

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had some other questions too, but I'm not sure if I should start a new topic or not, I don't want to spam the forums with questions:

2) Also, I'm buying inks from the same site:

http://www.4inkandmore.com/refill-5...00-ip4700-mp620-mp640-120ml-each-p-10317.html

Are these inks good enough?, it seems there is an ongoing war in this forum about inks and I don't really understand it.

The last thing,

I watched this video regarding a Canon pixma ip4700 CISS, and the guy mentions that there are two black inks for this printer:

The pigment based and the dye-based, and the guy in the video mentions that the pigment based can lead to clogging? Is this true?

Also, if I were to print b/w text documents, which black ink would be used: pigment or dye based? And what black inks would be used for photos?

Thank you so much gang!!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
drames

pharmacist wrote:- Refilling the cartridges is very fast using the german durchstich refill method. Do not use CISS systems on Canon printers. A lot of forum members will agree with me: sooner or later you will get problems with CISS on Canon printers. There is a resetter for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges available for only 15 in germany.
I have an ip4700 running with a CISS system and as I said in a previous post, this model printer/CISS Unit are not the perfect marrage. If it can happen it will happen with the ip4700 and CISS, trouble is its middle name. You say you want it for our Parents, then refilled oem cartridges is the best way to go for them. You dont have to use the German refill method you can fill from the top as well.

I watch the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBO-P9Y59Y#t=00m25s clip and wasnt inspired by it at all. In that clip they mention two types of black used in their CISS unit photo/pigment black, if thats the same brand of unit that you intend to buy then it will end in tears. CISS systems dont favour the use of pigment black because of the trouble it causes, (i.e. total block-up) instead the same black is used in both external bottles. Pigment black is only used on plain paper and Photo black is used on glossy/photo paper, so its the type of paper that you select to use which will determine which black that the printer will use.

Also you mention where to buy your ink:- http://www.4inkandmore.com/refill-5pack 10317.html thats as good a place as anywhere else, as I have never purchased anything from their site so I cant say yes/no to the quality but someone else on here might be able to give you their comments or experience. :rolleyes: I have ranted on a bit and so the last thing I can say is the New canon printers/CISS units are not matched in heaven but the other place..:)

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
:|

First of all, thanks for the great and quick reply - I really appreciate it. I don't think there is a better printer-ink related forum on the internet. The youtube video I gave you was pretty crappy - the CISS in the video is not the brand of unit I intend to buy, the one I want to buy is in the links below, the video below is much better and it shows the CISS for canon differently. My parents are seniors so the easier the better, they barely know how to turn the printer on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLYFAdbucg&feature=player_embedded
http://freedomtoprint.com/2010/04/08/cis-ciss-review-canon-pixma-ip4700-ip4600/

The CISS from the above links has a full guide on installing the specific CISS unit on sale I mentioned in the previous post. The website with the guide seems to be independent from the site selling the CISS unit. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable regarding the CISS and it makes the installation look really easy and simple. It doesn't seem complicated or messy or anything negative.

Please don't take this as me undermining your expertise, as much as a zeal for wanting the convenience of a CISS. I've dealt with inks, syringes, and sponges before and I have had a bad experience, I tried it with an HP all in one printer, PSC 1410 - I would inject HP-specific black ink very carefully into a brand-new cartridge after its first usage. The ink would absorb in the sponge inside and I waited 10mins for the ink to absorb when the instructions asked me to wait for 5 mins. When I started printing docs, half of the text was faded off as if there was only a drop of ink left in the cartridge - even though I just filled it. I really loved the idea of CISS and the lack of mess.

Is there anything particular that makes the CISS horrible for a canon?

I'm willing to adjust the way I use my printer in order to circumvent any problems.

If you look at the link and the youtube video above it seems that the specific CISS unit that they use works flawlessly with the ip4700 - again, can you give me any specifics as to what makes canon CISS's problematic?

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the CISS i intended to buy, although I guess that might change now - :|,

These pics make this specific unit look fairly sturdy, i like how the external tanks are all connected, and aren't 4 separate things moving around.

canon-pgi-5-carts.jpg

ip4700-ip4600-ciss-cis.jpg

tilt-tank.jpg

tanks-equaized-cis-ip4700.png

ip4700-pixma-cis-plug-types.png

ip4700-ciss-ip4600-allitems.jpg

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
at this point i'm probably writing waaay too much, but i'm a student and what I spend my money is important because I have little of it! :D

but does that mean that pigments inks should never go together with any CISS? also would I be able to use pigment inks in the refilling method?

these are really noob questions, but here it is (i'm really embarrassed now):

- is Canon considered OEM?
- why do people prefer german filling vs normal filling (what's the big difference)?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
drames - You may see that there is an "edit" feature at the bottom of each posting. Rather than having several of your own postings without intervening comments by others you can go back and edit your posts if you wish.

Your experience with refilling cartridges of printer brands other than Canon may not apply as Canon cartridges are absolutely the easiest ones to refill. Once you establish your own technique there is a minimum of mess which you can easily control. Although I use the old topfill method, indications are that the german method is easier and less prone to making a mess.

Since you are a student I may assume that your parents are considerably younger than me (76), and if either of them has reasonable capability with handiwork they can certainly manage to refill cartridges. Not everyone however, wants to spend the time or deal with refilling. Although the CIS system looks very appealing to you as less trouble prone, I've read, both on this forum and other sources that they can be a real pain to deal with and troubleshoot.

If your parents will be printing lots of photos or color graphics, don't want to learn to deal with CIS problems, and don't want to try refilling, perhaps you can refill several sets of each color for them in advance and occasionally refill their empties to keep them printing. If their printing needs are minimal, OEM cartridges may be simply more convenient than concern about the cost savings. The most trouble free, least time consuming approach is to use OEM carts.

Prefilled aftermarket carts have two potential problems. Ink quality and color response are not always consistant as the manufacturers can change their source of ink without notifying you. The other problem is that the quality of the cartridge itself can be variable. Some don't feed properly and this can potentially damage your printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
drames

I knew before I finished the last post what you intentions were, that you would prefer CISS over refill. Thats fair enough your decision which I respect, as I use a half dozen CISS units myself so I know the value of them.

The system you showed looks the business all right but cant say anything about the ink. As I said earlier dont use pigment ink in the CISS its not worth it. If you got yourself an older canon printer the CISS system works better on them than on the newer ones. Canon as I write are trying dam hard to stop people using CISS units on their printers that why the newer ones are more difficult to convert.

The pigment ink works in oem filled cartridges far better that in third party ones and yes your right OEM is just short hand for Canon original cartridges. You asked about the two different filling methods: -

The German method is most favoured by a lot of guys on here because it is considered much cleaner and more controllable I think. The top filling method is the older way and probably the sloppiest, depending on the way you go about it. I use the top method in case you ask.

:) fotofreek just gave you a bloody nice write up for you to consider as he has a wealth of experience so dont write off refilling just yet..

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the insight, I guess refilling is better than a CISS, I don't like how you have to use dye-based ink in the pigment cartridge, that doesn't make sense to me.

Are there any specific technical reasons why a CISS doesn't work well with canons, do espons and hps work better with CISS?