CISS Canon

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I purchased a CISS from a place in the UK. It performed flawlessly for over a year then started giving problems with the BLACK ink. Images were missing, images were blurry. After a lot of thinking, I had a bottle of ink that I used that must've been pigment based ink. Pigment based and dye based don't mix. What I ended up doing is completely emptied out and flushed the tank and silicone line. I then emptied the cartridge completely and flushed some water through it to clean out all the crap. I used a syringe with out the needle and forced water through the top opening of the cartridge. I did this several times over a cloth. Once all the liquid came out I kept on forcing air through it to get rid of everything. Ink the consistency of heavy oil came out in blobs. I left the cartridge out in contact with a damp cloth for two days. More stuff came out. When I got some ink I ordered, I filled the cartridge to prime it, then filled the tank with the same ink and force primed the ink line. I printed out a test page and had no problems. I printed out a 29 page document with no problems.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I presume you did put pigment ink into the CISS bottle corresponding with the dye ink based CLI-8 or CLI-521 Photo Black ? Does your printer has two blacks: Pigment text black and dye photo black ? You can actually mix dye with pigment ink, but it has to do with the finer nozzles of the dye ink: it is unfortunately not optimized to handle the larger pigment particles. Yes you can put dye ink into your pigment cartridge, but not pigment ink in your dye based photo black cartridge.

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't know the composition of the HP ink. All I do know is that the cartridge failed to print after I filled the black tank. My printer uses a tri color cartridge and one black cartridge. the inks are dye based because they all "run" when exposed to moisture or rain.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry, you didn't mention your brand of printer and could you also tell me the type of printer and the type of cartridges as well. Otherwise it would be telling me: i am suffering from pain. What type of pain: headache, muscle pain etc ?

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The printer is a Canon iP2600 - it uses two cartridges one black and one tri-color. I looked into it and both the color and black is dye based.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP ink, Canon printer ? I presume you use Canon ink, not Hp ink. Anyhow pigment ink tends to precipitate over time in the bottle and cheaper CISS systems will suffer from clogging because the ink intake is at the bottom, where the particles will settle down beneath.

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I must've had some HP ink stashed away someplace, but was desperate because I didn't want the tank to run dry so I added the HP ink to the ciss tank. In the long run, I ended up emptying the tank and flushing it out with water, the ink line to the cart and flushed out the cart itself. Now I got the dye based ink in the tank and the cartridge. Seems to be working ok.
Now I got to clean out the yellow tank. There's some kind of particulate in the bottom of the yellow tank and I don't want it to clog up the ink line.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
tmierzwa said:
The printer is a Canon iP2600 - it uses two cartridges one black and one tri-color. I looked into it and both the color and black is dye based.
According to Canon, the black is pigment.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Pigment ink is not as compatible with dye ink without extra surfactant. Dye inks on the other hand mix readily. Try this experiment. It's called the egg yolk test. Place a puddle of yellow dye ink on a glass or plastic surface so it doesn't get absorbed. Then put a drop of pure pigment black in the center. You'll notice it doesn't disperse in fact you cant jiggle it around and it still won't mix. If you try to stir it it will actually cause the carbon particles to settle out of solution in the in yellow ink. A worker where I work tried to refill the printer at work and mixed the dye black in the pigment black cartridge and it afterward the printer didn't print as clearly (likely because the viscosity of the dye isn't the same as the pigment) but on top of that after it ran out, the cartridge had flow problems and needed to be rinsed out.