CIS silicon grommet hunt

Cheap_Ink_Wanted

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good sites to find silicon grommet for use in a CIS system. I have a CIS installed in a ip6700d and have recently noticed a bit of air leaking into the tubing and suspect it to be due to a poor connection at the cartridge sponge / printhead receiver port and I would like to place a set of silicon grommets on top of the rubber one located on the printhead reciever port. Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Cheap_Ink_Wanted said:
Does anyone know of any good sites to find silicon grommet for use in a CIS system. I have a CIS installed in a ip6700d and have recently noticed a bit of air leaking into the tubing and suspect it to be due to a poor connection at the cartridge sponge / printhead receiver port and I would like to place a set of silicon grommets on top of the rubber one located on the printhead reciever port. Any help will be greatly appreciated :D
I think it is bette to use clear RTV silicone available at auto stores.

Something like this:
RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.jpg

It is very soft and durable, cures in 24 hours.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Smile said:
I think it is bette to use clear RTV silicone available at auto stores.

(snip)

It is very soft and durable, cures in 24 hours.
That's an idea I hadn't considered... How do you make yours then Smile?

Personally I got a 1mm thick sample of silicon sheeting and some metal punch tools to make the grommets myself... Worked ok but it's a bit of a pain to go to all that trouble yourself.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Simple but it takes time, you need a tube with outer diameter that fits inside print head port. Then you must fill the tube with silicone.

When it cures, that takes some time a week sometimes, depends on how long your tube is. I recommend not more than 4cm.
Then cut the tube with a knife. When you have cut created the silicone washers remove them from the tube.

Next you must cut center hole. I use a pipe that works like a knife.
Takes time but not money to make. And RTV silicone is very soft and durable so a plus in sealing those printhead ports.

Cheap_Ink_Wanted

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Those are some pretty good ideas but i'm really interested in are a set of grommets that i can place between the cis cartage and the print head port. Bit Smile i would like to know of any good places where i could go to get the materials needed to make my own grommets per your instructions such as the pipe you used to cut out the center hole.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The pipe is made from indoot TV antenna. Just get the right size antenna. Buy only the pipe thing without cables etc. Costs only 2-3Euros.

Then you must use a drill and some sand paper rolled into a roll to grind antenna from inside to make it sharp. Then you use it as a knife to cut the silicone.

Antenna is made from brass that is not very durable metal so if anyone know where I can buy small pipes from steel or metal please relpy :)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Also you can try to search for a silicone sheet material and to cut it with pipe like I said.
You will avoid silicone curing time.

Or you can use another techique:

Spread some silicon .5mm and 1mm thick onto something it will not stick to. Then remove it can cut it like I said above.
This improves curing time is rapid, 1 day top.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Nice idea hiddenbay but wrong type of grommet...

You need something no thicker than 1mm and whilst the antennae pipe is an "interesting" approach a leather punch tool will do the trick if you have the relevant silicon sheet to cut.