CIS Reservoir position : Feedback please

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hey folks... This is for those of you who have an HP Officejet or Business inkjet. In a nutshell I'm looking for some feedback. :D
*flutters eyelashes in a come hither manner*

I have a new CIS system that I've developed (and still developing) that provides a high capacity (250 - 500ml) reservoir per colour and utilises OEM rather than somewhat questionnable 3rd party cartridges. My quandry is on where the best place is to put the reservoirs.

Just to give some background.. The design of the reservoirs does not include a marriotte constant pressure system, instead it utilises gravity to feed the cartridges and as a result needs to be at a level above the top of the cartridges to ensure this works. Now I have a number of solutions as to how the cartridges can/will sit in a container that hangs from the printer and even worked out how to fit this container in a variety of positions. My big question is which position is the best.

My options are:

- Hanging/supported to one side extending the printer width by approximately 11-15cm but leaving space underneath for paper, etc..
- Supported to the rear of the printer over the duplexer unit (if installed), extending 11cm out from the back of the printer or just 3cm further than the duplexer (if installed).

The other options I've discounted are:
- Container sits on the top of the printer using high strength adhesive velcro to provide the necessary holding power. Unfortunately in the case of the K5400 that means you'd have to remove the container before you can open the lid to clear a paper jam. (It works for the K550 as there's a non hinged area it can sit on)
- Container hung in front and to the left of the printer. This would obscure the lights no the front of the printer so that's not much use.

In essence the reason for hanging the reservoirs/container out over the side/back is to ensure that they stay in one place, don't need to be moved to clear paper jams and are in the correct position throughout (ie: some numpty doesn't move them to the same level of the printer to clear a jam and doesn't put them back!).

So, to aid with this little survey I put together a couple of views mocked up quickly using photoshop to give a clearer idea of what I mean..

Front view.
main.php

Side view.
main.php

After all that, the questions are these:
1. Which would you prefer to use:
- a side mounted system that increases the printer width
- a rear mounted system that adds to the depth of the printer

2. Would the additional reservoir capacity be a compelling reason for you to consider a more expensive CIS system?
We're talking 110 ($230US approx) for a system with 250ml for each ink colour (1 litre total).

Comments welcome... I'm still developing this further but in principal I already have a working system... It's tweaking things so that the little details are right now.. :)

Thanks in advance...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Erk... realised my mock up diagrams are a bit out of kilter (forget the bottom off the front view!) but hopefully you get the idea :)