CIS for Epson Artisan 700

IAmMoen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
So my Artisan 700 today ran out of light magenta ink. Or at least that is what the software says. The thing that gets me is I have pretty much been printing black only.... And then my wife comes home and wants to print some power point slides for her upcoming class. No problem because it will be in grayscale so the printer won't even care about the light magenta that is all out. Wrong. Won't print a dang thing. Just tells me to buy more ink and this is after spending $60 in ink just a few months ago. I am done with that for sure.

So I have now been looking at some CISS. I have emailed a few internet companies about it and while some companies have the CIS for sale and have a warranty other companies I contact say that the Artisan 700 is too complicated and that CIS's for it are impossible. Hmmmm. Has anyone heard of someone putting a CIS on an Artisan 700 with any luck. I was looking at Rihac and they have one for $140. I saw them recommended on this site before.

Any recommendations from everyone here? Thanks in advance!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I know Rihac have been trying to get things organised... and checking their site they have a unit that is finally good to go..

http://www.rihac.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=26_27_86&products_id=526

That page includes information on how you'll need to modify the printer to install it too so looks good to go...

... and now I see that you've already found that model... LOL...

For what it's worth I also have a waste ink kit for that printer as well.. No reset utility yet but as it's an Artisan and Epson are providing the utils for earlier models it's likely you'd be able to source one by the time it was required anyway.

IAmMoen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
websnail said:
For what it's worth I also have a waste ink kit for that printer as well.. No reset utility yet but as it's an Artisan and Epson are providing the utils for earlier models it's likely you'd be able to source one by the time it was required anyway.
I guess I am a fairly big newbie to the whole third party ink thing and I am not sure what this means. I understand that the cartridges need to be reset every time they are replaced so that the printer things it is a new one but I am not sure what a waste ink kit would do for me and what utils from Epson you might be referring to.

By the way websnail, thank you for the response!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
IAmMoen said:
I guess I am a fairly big newbie to the whole third party ink thing and I am not sure what this means. I understand that the cartridges need to be reset every time they are replaced so that the printer things it is a new one
I'm pretty sure you don't have to remove the cartridges on this one... Sam would more than likely be willing to give you the details of how the system and chips reset if you ask :)

Let me know because I'd be interested too and have a question pending for him.

but I am not sure what a waste ink kit would do for me and what utils from Epson you might be referring to.
:) Easiest to provide you with this link:
http://www.wasteink.co.uk/service-required/

That gives you a primer on the waste ink tank side of things... As to the utils... in the context of waste ink, they just allow you to reset the count which the printer uses to keep track of projected waste ink in the pads. (there's no sensor).

By the way websnail, thank you for the response!
You're welcome.. in truth I only know this stuff thanks to a very keen customer of mine bugging me for insight into his own exploration of the PX700 (the European model name for the Artisan 700). It was a wild ride :)

dixonwa

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Any luck with the CIS system for the Artisan 700?

I have the Artisan 800 and am looking for a CIS also. I stumbled upon this site looking for reviews for others using the CIS on this printer but have not had much luck.

I have found several sites selling the CIS system but most say that you must modify the front of the printer so the lid does not crush the ink hoses. The ones that I have seen that don't ask for a printer modification ask you to put foam inside the lid to keep it from closing all the way.

Here is a few of the links to some of the sites that carry the CIS system ......

http://genxinks.com/EPSON/c22/p104/Epson_Artisan_700_&_800_Continuous_Ink_System/product_info.html

http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store/product.php?productid=525&cat=3&page=1

https://www.bmem.net/Continuous-Bulk-Ink-CIS-CISS-for-Epson-Artisan-700-800_p_58.html

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I know I sound like a real Rihac cheerleader at the best of times but hey ho...

I've chatted (albeit with Sam) about the Artisans (PX800/700's in the UK) and he's explained that EPson really did work very hard to make CIS kits difficult to fit in these.

There are a number of ways to access the internals but each requires some form of disassembly and/or modification to the actual printer case. The simplest is probably demonstrated here:
http://www.rihac.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=26_27_86&products_id=527

Also worth noting that, as per usual, the chips are different for each country so an Artisan 800 FW kit is not going to work with a PX800FW printer. So, if you are buying a kit make sure that you specify and check that you are getting the correct chips right from the get go..

IAmMoen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Alrighty everyone. An update. I just received the CISS for my Artisan 700 from Rihac. It works awesome. Plugged it in and worked right from the get go. I myself might have to make a special shim for the printer so that the lid stays off the tubes but other than that a easy install. If anyone has any questions about the install or the company feel free to pm me or something. A+ for everything.

clearchannel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
IAmMoen said:
I myself might have to make a special shim for the printer so that the lid stays off the tubes but other than that a easy install. If anyone has any questions about the install or the company feel free to pm me or something. A+ for everything.
Does the magnetic sensor have anything to do with detecting if the scanner lid is open or closed? I've tried to shim it without actually having a system and it looks like it may be a chore to accomplish if you can't fool the lid open sensor.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
clearchannel said:
IAmMoen said:
I myself might have to make a special shim for the printer so that the lid stays off the tubes but other than that a easy install. If anyone has any questions about the install or the company feel free to pm me or something. A+ for everything.
Does the magnetic sensor have anything to do with detecting if the scanner lid is open or closed? I've tried to shim it without actually having a system and it looks like it may be a chore to accomplish if you can't fool the lid open sensor.
I can't remember exactly what Sam said but yes that magnetic sensor does appear to fool the printer into thinking that the lid is closed.

I have a sneaky suspicion it also acts as a tell tale for one or more obvious modifications that most CIS kits would otherwise have used.

dixonwa

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I ended up not going with the CIS system for my Artisan 800 but picked up some refillable ink cartridges that come in a kit for the Artisan 700/800 from inkproducts.com.

Thought I would just let everyone know that the ink is good quality, cartridges are easy to fill and last a long time, also fast shipping. Inkproducts does have a CIS system but I was too scared to try it :)