Chip Resetter.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just refilled my OEM iP4500 cartridges with Hobbi colors ink and used the german method posted in here, BTW it was easy thanks;) well after I finished and tried to use the chip resetter I bought, for some reason it didn't blink red and after a couple tries I got a couple fast red blinks but no stationary red light, then I put the cartridge in my printer and I didn't have any warning that the ink was low, is it possible that when refilling OEM cartridges we need a chip resetter? also just in case where can i find a good quality chip resetter here in Europe? thanks;)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Wait a minute: does it work or not ? Did the refilled cartridge show full or empty by the printer ? I would recommend to buy the famous Redsetter, which is now very cheap ( 12,50).

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Wait a minute: does it work or not ? Did the refilled cartridge show full or empty by the printer ? I would recommend to buy the famous Redsetter, which is now very cheap ( 12,50).
Well what I meant is when refilling OEM cartridges do we really need a chip resetter?
before I refilled my cartridges I had the warning sign that ink was low then after refilling them the printer showed full ink and no warning sign, but the chip resetter didn't show a stationary red light, it only flashed for a split second then I waited for it to stay red and never did.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Well if it works, then do not bother about it. If this resetter did not give a stationary red light, maybe the battery is running low. Yes it is recommend to use a resetter to keep track with the ink level, but not necessary. However, when you deactivate the ink level, the data is stored inside printer and when problems occur and you have to send the printer back to Canon, the data can be read by the engineers and you might get into troubles when they say: the problem is caused by refill ink....

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem this fellow had - see this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=30067#p30067
Pharmacist suggested to him that the battery might be running low. Never did hear anything back. Would be interesting to know if that is how the resetters work when the battery runs down. My resetter is the one with three batteries and has been working OK so far. Probably should get some replacement batteries to have on hand.

Steve W.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the chip resetter is fake and one way to tell is if it has screws on the bottom it's fake, like i said I bought it 6 months ago but didn't need to use it till today, so how can the battery be low? I ordered a genuine redresetter today for 25 euro.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well I don't know what you mean by fake, but - I have a Blue Resetter and it has screws on the bottom and it works fine. The original battery could definitely be bad. My daughter got one of those pictures frames as a present. The remote didn't work when she first tried it. The unit even had a plastic sheet between the battery and the remote's circuitry that was supposed to keep the battery fresh - that is, an accidental constant push on one of the buttons wouldn't cause the battery to drain. Put in a new battery and it worked immediately. Some of the batteries in those units are not the best.

Steve W.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Whether fake ones exist or not, I have used a blue resetter like this one, and it has screws on the bottom and resets Canon chips as well as some aftermarket ones (unidentiifiable) with total success including the photocolors. To date I have reset over 400 ( Four hundred!) chips and the batteries are still running strong. So I would imagine that this could represent a fair amount of use for the average user. Batteries could be defective, so that's a distinct possibility. Also keep in mind that the early resetters may well have consumed more current before their design and fabrication were refined more like more current ones as pictured below. Technology and coding always evolves.

Resetter2.jpg

zxcvbnm114

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a blue one bought cheap off ebay. I have to wiggle the cartridge around till I get a contact and the red light comes on. I'm afraid I can't remember if it comes on steady and I wait till it goes off or it it starts blinking and then becomes steady. But basically I slide it into place and wiggle it slightly until I can get the red light to catch and then hold still for about two seconds till the red lights finish and then it seems to think its full again.

I see http://www.ink.co.uk has blue re-setters again in the uk for about 10 delivered.

Not to mention the temptation of buying their dirt cheap ink and seeing what happens... Anyone tried them?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Compared to the Mikling's picture, I have a lighter blue colored Chinese made resetter that has a screwplate bottom and three batteries.

When proper contact is made between the cartridge and the resetter the LED flashes once, turns off momentarily, then the LED goes on again for a couple seconds, then shuts off again to tell you the chip is reset.