Cheap Photo Paper Any Good?

Ink Guru

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick one. How has your experience been with cheap photo paper? Is there really any need for expensive branded stuff, or is the g/m2 all that matters?

Im tempted to buy a load of these, but wasnt sure on the quality. 100 6x4 sheets for 3.49 sounds pretty awesome: "internet-ink.co.uk/gloss-photo-paper/"

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Based on my (limited) experience .... it depends.

I've found Kirkland paper from Costco to be very good. RoyalBrites from Sam's Club was mediocre. 4x6" from Stapes (free after easy rebate) seems ok, but haven't done much with it.

To me, it isn't all that attractive to make my own 4x6" prints, from a cost/benefit point of view.

How much is shipping to get paper online?

YMMV.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Look out for Photo paper at Lidl from time to time. It is called Office Depot and is a total bargain.

Usually sold in A4 and 6X4, recently was 4.99 for 59 sheets A4 and 3.99 for 100 x 6X4.
It's gloss but high quality and prints really nice on my Canon printers.

It is believed to be a German well known brand, possibly Sihl.

johnpeeay

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To back up the previous poster, LIDL Office Depot glossy A4 at 4.99 for 50 sheets gives excellent results on my Epson 1400 and using carts from internet-ink.co.uk which are filled with German brand OCP ink.

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is indeed a very good paper manufactured by Sihl.I first found it in Germany -Lidl- and since I remembered a test in German Colorfoto of photopapers where it received good results I bought a test package.Now I find it in Lidl Sweden now and then and of course I have bought a large supply.Strongly recommended -at an unbelievable price!
Bertil

jjbruja

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R300, Photo 1400, 730
I've had good results with the Costco 4x6 & 8 1/2 x 11 papers. I'm now using up 5 boxes of the stuff made in Mexico with photo of the guy piloting the sailboat.
If there's a Staples store near you watch the Sunday ads for their photo supreme double-sided matte paper. Every so often they have a coupon for a box of 50 sheets for $1.00.
This paper is 8.5 x 11" , 61lb - 11mil. The color, while more subdued because of the matte surface, is close to the Costco paper and is made in Germany ( just found this out by looking at the back of the package more closely).

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Lidl are selling the A4 and 6X4 from tomorrow at the previous stated prices.

I raided my local store this afternoon and they were stocking the shelves so now have 400 sheets of A4!