Changing Canon Ink absorber

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
Well, after cleaning several times, it seems that changing them (any Canon Inkjet) will be a better solution than buying a brand new one. I've a lot of customers who want to buy a refurb one (half price of a new one).
Despite there's no more spare parts for most of them, have you tried to replace.
What have you choosen and which result do you have had ?

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well as there's no answer to my own question, I'm going to give you some important information about.
Today I'm in touch with a manufacturer of industrial material for the absorption of hydrocarbon effluents. Not exactly the same because absorbents for hydrocarbons are hydrophobic but we get closer.

I should soon receive samples in order to carry out tests.
I will not fail to give you the results, and if the marketing department agrees, their contact details.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm guessing the context to this post is that you've been looking at waste ink replacement pads for some Canon printers, correct?

If so, I have a supplier for suitable material that we work with... I can't give away the supplier information but I can source it if you need some that is already tested and working with Epson inkjet printers and has been tested against Canon inks too (although not used).

No idea on cost as we get our padding material pre-cut to the shapes and sizes we need for our waste pad kits, but I could source a specific length from them reasonably easily I'm sure.

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm guessing the context to this post is that you've been looking at waste ink replacement pads for some Canon printers, correct?

If so, I have a supplier for suitable material that we work with... I can't give away the supplier information but I can source it if you need some that is already tested and working with Epson inkjet printers and has been tested against Canon inks too (although not used).

No idea on cost as we get our padding material pre-cut to the shapes and sizes we need for our waste pad kits, but I could source a specific length from them reasonably easily I'm sure.
Great. Feel free to ask for. Anyway we'll carry tests with two companies, one more answering today from Germany.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Whatever disposable diapers are made of would be a potential ink absorber.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Whatever disposable diapers are made of would be a potential ink absorber.
Actually you need to be a little careful with that as disposable diapers now often have a sort of granular material that forms a jell when mixed with fluid and it makes an unholy mess if you rip open a nappy/diaper (I speak from a parenting 'oh-dear-$deity-not-again!' POV here) so be careful there. Of course I'm going on what we have here in the UK but I suspect it may be a similar situation elsewhere on the globe.

As another small tip, you also want to avoid any swellable materials unless you specifically take into account the amount of swelling that will take place. I have had a hilarious but painful phone conversation with a customer who filled their maintenance box with tampons and discovered that they could not longer slide the box out because... well... you can guess.
:barnie

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I believe the first is made of polypropylene threads, which trap the liquid. The tests will tell if the material is efficient for this type of use